Region code free external DVD drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kristoffer4, Jan 13, 2012.

1. kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

Do anyone here has experience with buying a external DVD drive and flashing the firmware so that you can DVDs from anywhere in the world?
    I live in Europe and have a lot of R1 US DVDs but currently I can't watch these on my mac.

2. Negritude macrumors 6502

This is all highly dependent on the model of drive and whether any region-free firmware is available to flash it. Suggest you peruse the CDFreaks/MyCE and RPC1 forums before you even think about buying anything.

3. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

The OS X DVD app only supports internal drives. The OS X installer will not install the DVD app if no internal drive is installed and it won't play DVDs on an external drive.

Apparently VLC player ignores the hardware region setting.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=508049

4. tvcbarbeau macrumors newbie

Region Free external Drive

I'm having a very similar problem.

I live in the US and buy many European and Japanese DVDs that are PAL and different Regions. Have a Macbook and an older G5 Tower, use mac the ripper to extract and Handbrake to convert to mp4s. I'm a video DJ and need to use these vids in my sets. I've reached my limit on changing the region code on both computers. I've done the research and it seems both of these computers don't have the right drives to flash and reset the firmware.

Can anyone possibly point me in the direction of an external firewire cd/dvd burner that is region free or can be made into one.

macbook
    Matshita CD-RW CW-8221
    Firmware Revsion GA0J

G5
    HL-DT ST DVD-RW GWA-4165B
    Firmware Revision Q0002

5. kpgh554 macrumors regular

kpgh554

you could try one of these:-http://www.macupdate.com/find/mac/dvd%20region