Region Free Blu Ray?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JHorace, Mar 3, 2013.

1. JHorace macrumors newbie

Ok basically the long and short of it is that I want to watch Borgen in HD on my iMac, without resorting to piracy.

I live in the states, and there has been no region 1 blu ray release for borgen, nor (I think) is there a legitimate download source (HD or otherwise.) I have the newest 27 inch imac, which is lovely, but makes anything less than 1080p look a total mess.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest mac compatible hardware and software that was either region free or region 2 capable. Thanks kindly!

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Make MKV is region free and eats anything. As far as piracy goes, my understanding is that if you are ripping it for your own use, and to view on a device other than a DVD player then you are within the rules. You only cross the border into legals if you start burning copies for others to use.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

The studios would not agree.

That being said, I completely agree with you. As long as I'm only viewing it on my own hardware and keep the original, and make no copies for others, there should be no issue.

4. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

AFAIK blu-ray region protection isn't related to the drives firmware anymore (unlike DVD's) but instead it's enforced by the software that's playing the disc.

Have you checked Google to see if there is a region free "work-around" for whatever app your using to play the blu-ray?

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I use MacGo's blu-ray player on my mac with my Samsung external bd-rw

It plays all regions regardless.