Region Free DVD Firmware for 2008 Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by edesignuk, Jan 31, 2008.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Has anyone patched the firmware on the DVD drive found in the 2008 mac pro? I think it's a Pioneer DVR-112D. If so, how did you do it, any problems?

2. eviltobz macrumors member

oooh. good question. i'd assumed that it may not even be possible with newer drives and have a reserve plan of putting my g5's dvd drive into the mp when it arrives and get a new cheap drive to go back in the g5 so i can flog her off for a bit o cashy money. being able to just use the stock drive would be a nice surprise.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

VLC suppose to work.

Otherwise Handbreak the DVD.

4. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I never thought about doing that to my superdrive, but I found the RPC-1 firmware for my 2 drives in my PC, so I brought the HP 640i Lightscribe drive over with region free...don't you have to get past the region coding in most DVD playing software as well?

--Bryan

5. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

None of that helps when the DVD drive is region locked and your DVD doesn't match it.

6. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

Use MacTheRipper to rip it your hard drive. That's the best way to get around region encoding.

7. eviltobz macrumors member

i found vlc played vids well enough on my region locked g4 imac, but it really is an arse dvd player. it just does not deal well with menus and stuff. region x and apple's dvd player app make for a much better combo when they work.

edesign, have you set the system prefs for putting dvds in the drive just to be ignored? if it auto starts dvd player the app will check then eject the disc, but if it doesn't you can happily use less official software :)

8. noi375 macrumors member

I usually just boot to Windows and use AnyDVD so all those "protection" doesn't work - I don't think there is a software for Mac that can do something similar to what AnyDVD does.

9. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Just rip the disc with Mac the Ripper or Handbrake. Regions only come into effect when you try and play it. You can treat any DVD like a data disc with any drive though so you can rip it and burn it to another DVD.

10. tourneur macrumors member

VLC should play any dvd regardless of the dvd drive's regional setting.

However, when it comes to ripping with Handbrake or MTR, I have experienced that some dvd's can't be ripped due to a different regional setting. Changing the region to match the dvd's region solved it in my case.

11. Norco macrumors regular

It's not a Pioneer drive, at least I know for a fact in mine. I pulled it out and it said Sony on the sticker, but in the Device Profiler it reads as "Optiarc" whatever the hell that means.

Update: I actually looked up the name Optiarc & the model drive, its some type of joint burner made by Sony & NEC
    Link:http://www.sonynec-optiarc.com/products/hhid_dvdrw/index.html

The exact model # is 7170A

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

That depends on the drive. Some drives don't even allow you to rip the DVD if the region code doesn't match.

As for the Pioneer/Sony "debate", Apple uses a variety of drives.

13. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

For ripping, you should ditch the Apple drive and pick one up from OWC or Newegg. I use the Pioneer DVR-112D (now superseded by the DVR-115D) and it's much faster than the stock Sony/NEC drive that came installed with my Mac.

Apple OEM firmware is Riplock enabled, which if it doesn't prohibit ripping, slows it down to a crawl.