Region Free DVD playback on a MacBook Pro Core2Duo?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ymer, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Ymer macrumors newbie

I've tried everything: MactheRipper under Mac OSX, DVD Region Free and DVD Decrypter under Windows XP... it simply won't work with DVDs from a different region.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. Charliekid21 macrumors regular

how often do u play dvd's of that region?

3. illustratorDavi macrumors 6502

I've installed VLC DVD player.

Then in system preferences in the cd/dvd option change "when you insert a video dvd" from DVD Player to VLC

Now I don't get the window saying you need to change the DVD region it just launches in VLC

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

VLC region free bypass only works on RPC1 drives. Newer DVD drives are not compatible.

5. Ymer thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a LOT of Region 1, 2 and 4 discs.

6. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

I am interested in this also...
    I have set vlc to open all dvd videos but if this doesn't work on the new macs then maybe someone knows a good solution?

7. Charliekid21 macrumors regular

well if its a specific region ure after ure better off getting a cheap portable dvd player. Some also play multiple regions.

8. Ymer thread starter macrumors newbie

In fact, right now, just being able to rip my R1 DVDs to the HD would satisfy me. Any ideas?

9. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

how bout handbrake?
    I haven't used it myself but it is supposed to be quite good.

10. Ymer thread starter macrumors newbie

11. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

if you have windows installed via bootcamp you might want to try out dvddecrypter or dvdshrink in windows.
    those are two great programs for ripping dvds and removing region protection.

12. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

I am so sick of damn DVD regions, heaven forbid I have interest in things that are from other parts of the world.

13. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

I couldn't agree more...
    being a huge anime fan, american movies fan and living in the EU makes it really awful (3 regions:(

14. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

I have the opposit problem, I love UK television programmes, and yet, it takes so long for series to come to NZ :(

15. Cinner macrumors newbie

This is what I HATE about my Macbook Pro. Why are we not allowed to watch DVD's from all over the world? And why has nobody come up with a workaround? Is the drive really that well protected?

Right now I can think of two ways around this problem (besides ripping the DVD to your HD, which sucks):

1. Hook up a region-free DVD drive to your Mac and use Region X to reset OS X's region counter.
    2. Boot to Windows with Boot Camp and use something like AnyDVD to have Windows ignore region protection alltogether.

A third solution is to use a standalone DVD player, but that is not a real solution.

16. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

if you have a matshita drive you could flash the firmware
    there always has been some region free firmware for matshita around but be careful by doing something wrong you could turn the drive useless.

17. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

18. Cinner macrumors newbie

Thanks, that was helpfull. You should be a moderator.

19. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

20. Cinner macrumors newbie

Updating the firmware and your warranty don't play nice, do they?

21. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Region free was only possible because Apple issued a firmware update. The update given at rpc1 also has a rollback update in case you need to return your Mac for repair.

22. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

AFAIK the newer Intel Macs utilize a DVD drive that is RPC2 and can't be hacked. Or at least that is what I remember reading on the Handbrake forum (or was it MactheRipper).

23. ThatGirl macrumors regular

I have been trying to find a region free DVD player so that I can play all regions on my tv. It has been a nightmare! I found a site called videohelp.com that has hacks for dvd players,but so far, I have not been able to find any for which the hacks work. I finally matched the model number to the hack, and it still did not work. If anyone knows of a DVD player that can be made to play all region, which can be bought from a reputable source, I would be forever grateful if you would share that information with me! Thanks!

24. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Phillips Multi region DVD player. Found on Amazon.
    There were more the search I did was "region free dvd player".

25. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

I'm not much of an anime fan, but Japanese music fan who likes to buy concert DVDs. :)