Region free mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by james1758, Aug 6, 2013.

1. james1758 macrumors regular

james1758

Hi guys,

Does anyone know of a way to region un-lock the MBP Mid 2009 for free? So that I can play both region 1 and region 2 dvds on my MBP.

Is the only option to replace the dvd drive on the mac (which I won't do), or is there any software that means i can region un-lock my MBP for free?

Thanks in advance :)

2. leman macrumors 604

3. james1758 thread starter macrumors regular

james1758

Awesome haha, is it really that easy? I thought I'd have to flash the drive or something :p

----------

:)

4. leman macrumors 604

Aww, I might have spoken a bit hastily here after all. I know that VLC has a feature to circumvent DVD region lock. However, it seem that it does not work for all drives. I have no idea which one applies to your computer. I suggest that you try it out. If it doesn't work, you can still look into flashing the drive :)

5. Idefix macrumors 6502

Complex subject. As I recall, the Mac disk drive itself is region locked, would have to be rewritten by firmware, which nobody has cracked.

In the past, the solution was to buy an external Pioneer burner, which could be region-unlocked. The person who did this retired many years ago, don't know if anyone took up the challenge after that. I've got an external burner from that era which I unlocked.

You can buy various region free DVD players, eg

http://www.world-import.com/sony_region_free_dvd_player_DVP-SR320.htm

A bit hard to carry on the road with you?

6. priitv8 macrumors 68030

7. octatonic macrumors regular

octatonic

8. Idefix macrumors 6502

This thread made me look into unlocking.

I now have a region free drive--mid-2012 cMBP with UJ-8A8

Don't need Windows to do it, just using Terminal--which can be a bit nerve-wracking if you've never used Terminal before. For example, I thought I'd bricked the drive, but a restart cured it.

That part about bricking the drive is why I hesitate to post the links here, however they're easy to find via google.

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

why not just a cheap usb DVD drive and set it to whichever region you use the least and use the internal DVD for whichever reason you use the most?