Region free (when using mac mini as a dvd player)??

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by felixen, May 12, 2009.

1. felixen macrumors 6502a

Hi.

I just inserted a DVD into my mac mini for the very first time. It says I get to change the region five times (or ten, I dont remember), but my question is if it is possible to make the mac mini permanently region free, so it can read any DVD at any given time

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

MRoogle: mac region free dvd

You can change your DVD drive's region five (5) times.

It's best to get an external region free DVD (computer) drive, as tempering with the Mac Mini's components will void your warranty.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

Be aware that the region free DVD players don't necessarily read all DVDs; sometimes the copy protection screws up the region free players.

4. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I was told VLC reads all DVDs though, so I guess its all good then. I'll try it out when I get home...

5. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

What is Region Free etc. have to do with reading a DVD, I am technical but I have never run into this error/problem:confused:

6. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure what you mean. If a DVD is locked to a certain region, it cannot be played on all systems. However I have heard VLC "overlooks" the region code or whatever, so with VLC it doesn't matter if the DVD is coded or not

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

This doesn't work on most modern (re: recent) DVD drives. The drives are region-locked in the firmware. Even ripping the disks using something like MTR results in garbage.