Register New Macs for Warranty

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macdaddy01, Aug 10, 2009.

1. macdaddy01 macrumors member

I just purchased my first ever 2 Macs (a Mini and the Air) from an authorized dealer. Do I need to register the Macs on the Apple site for warranty purposes? Today, I received a email survey from Apple congratulating me on my Mac purchase even though I never registered my Macs on the Apple site. How did Apple know that I purchased these Macs? Does the dealer send the purchase information to Apple?

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Check your warranty here.

If you bought and registered AppleCare, Apple will have your email. Some certified dealers may send information to Apple, or the email may have just been an automatic email that was populated into Mac OSX's Mail app.

The survey is only about 3 or 4 questions and only takes a few seconds, so you might as well fill it out.

3. MKSinSA macrumors regular

MKSinSA

I don't know if you have to

but I did just to make sure that I was eligible for the $9.95 upgrade to Snow Leopard. Since each computer has a unique SN, I suspect Apple knows at point of sale that it's moved out the door. Just not taking any chances, although I only save $20.

Here's the link for online registration if you're interested in registering as a backup.

Cheers!

4. macdaddy01 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the links. I will do the survey and register my Macs since I do want to get in on the $9.95 Snow Leopard deal.