Register Windows?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by spyker3292, Jul 18, 2008.

1. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I've had a Boot Camp partition running perfect for about 17 days. The main problem is the windows activation thing. It tells me I have 13 days left buy when I try to activate I get a network error. Anyone know how to fix this? Or do I need to call them? I hate phone support.....

2. mosx macrumors 65816

Call them.

And get ready to speak to someone in India you can barely understand ;)

3. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Don't get too scared yet. I had to call, but I "talked" to a computer the whole time. It was easy.

4. chuckewe macrumors newbie

Prepare for the next time you have an issue

There are many disadvantages to Windows. However, there are a few pluses. One is the various software for it.

Once you do get your issue resolved, purchase a "imaging" program like Acronics, (there are some free ones out there as well) that allows you to use a DVD rescue disk to boot, Make a disk image of your properly working Windows onto an external drive, and next time you have an operating system problem, you can restore a working copy.

5. cromwell64 macrumors regular

I had to call and I just got a computerized voice that gave me a registration key over the phone. No problems.

6. spyker3292 thread starter macrumors 65816

Nice! Thanks.

No offense but that really sounds like an ad. I never mentioned any system problems that big. And I don't care, all I have windows for is Steam and my Sony eReader. But I guess thanks anyway.

7. chuckewe macrumors newbie

No Offense

Not meant as an ad, which is why I reference there are other alternatives, including free ones.

I've received lots of good suggestions from Mac users since switching over, thought I'd share a Windows suggestion to keep a similar problem from reoccurring once you have the activation issue resolved. For Windows problems rarely are resolved for good, just delayed.

Personally I'm using VMware's fusion for my Mac, which doesn't allow for the use of an imaging program, since I'm actually using a simulation program. Whereas Boot Camp you are actually booting into a Windows partition.

As a Windows user for over 15 years, I've had more experience with Windows issues than I'd care to remember. Since using an imaging program, and I've used three different ones, including Ghost, and Partition Magic, restoring Windows to a working state became a breeze and I've never had to contact Microsoft again.

While you indicate my suggestion may not work out for you, I hope other will find it useful.

8. spyker3292 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok, then I guess thanks for the tip. I hope some people can find it useful. As I said I have nothing to worry about. I just have Steam (which I can redownload any games on) and my Sony eBooks (which are 'backed up' on my eReader). If I had anything really important I would look into this.

I actually have been booting my book camp partition with Parallels. It works great for quick things and then if I ever want to play a game I just restart and boot XP. So far it's been working perfect.

9. chuckewe macrumors newbie

Boot Camp Parrelles

If you are using Parrells, you should ignore my suggestion entirely. Parrelles is like VM Ware, a simulation program, so an imaging program won't work. Once you get your XP issue resolved, look for the image or file that Parrelles is booting or launching, and make a copy of that file onto a separate hard drive. The next time you have a problem, just drag that file to replace the one on your active drive.

Good luck

10. BrownPlopz macrumors regular

Yeah, just call the toll-free number, and they get you to talk to a computer. I had to do it when I had the exact same problem, it'll all work out in the end.

11. spyker3292 thread starter macrumors 65816

You don't get it. Parallels can boot my Boot Camp partition. It's only a VM when Parallels opens it. Otherwise it's perfectly normal. I love it :D. When I open Parallels the drive switches from a Partition to some icon of a drive with a Parallels logo and Parallels runs it. When I quit Parallels it goes back to normal bootable state.