Registered my macbook pro without Apple ID

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PinkWaters, Oct 14, 2013.

1. PinkWaters macrumors member

PinkWaters

I registered my macbook pro in the wizard when u fist start the mac, but i forgot to login with the apple ID first,
    and now when i try to add the macbook to my owned devices in apple registration site to assosiate it with my apple ID, it asks me for proof of purchase, which i cant provide cause i bought it from a random computer shop outside US :(

so what now?

2. b06tmm macrumors regular

b06tmm

Do you have the installation media?

I would wipe out the system and reinstall the OS, that way you can enter your Apple ID when asked.

3. PinkWaters thread starter macrumors member

PinkWaters

its a mid 2012 cMBP, it doesnt come with installation media.
    I just wanna associate it to my Apple ID account, but i dont know how now. :/

4. durkkin macrumors regular

Mid 2012's have a recovery partition (Cmd + R while booting) that you can boot into and reinstall the OS from there. If you don't have anything you're worried about losing, I would wipe the drive first with Disk Utility and then reinstall OSX to guarantee you get the registration screen again.

Is there any particular reason you're wanting it registered?

5. PinkWaters thread starter macrumors member

PinkWaters

No, i cant wipe the hdd, specially that I replaced it with a bigger one and installed mavericks GM on it.

well, i have no particular reason for why i would register it. but am I gonna miss anything if i didnt ? : o

6. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

So, what Apple ID did you use to register it? The serial number should be tied to an Apple ID, so I don't see how you could have registered it without logging in to an account during the initial setup.

If it lets you register it without one and only asks for your contact info then you can call Apple and as long as the name its registered to matches the name on the Apple ID then they should happily do it for you...

It shouldn't matter that you bought it outside of the US, however chances are you have no warranty if you didn't buy it from an Apple-authorized reseller. Grey-market products have no warranty and as such it would be pointless to update the registration info.

Something sounds fishy to me...

7. Xerotech macrumors 6502

Is there a point to registering the product? All warranty is done through Apple Care and if your macbook doesn't have warranty there really is no point.

8. PinkWaters thread starter macrumors member

PinkWaters

Ok, now because of me not registering with apple ID, I dont get iLife or iWork for free. :mad:
    They show up in mac app store with full price :(