Registering a Complaint with Apple Store Manager - Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by astrostu, Dec 21, 2011.

1. astrostu, Dec 21, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2011

astrostu macrumors 6502

Hi folks, I've been advised to register a complaint with Apple due to a wrong repair to my MBP. I don't do this thing often and am not sure what to say, esp. if they say, "We're sorry." Do I just say, "Well, do better next time young man" or demand a free iPad for my trouble? (half joking on the last one)

Here's what I plan to say when I call and ask to speak with the manager. Please advise:

Note a bit more background: Picked up my laptop today and before I signed, I said I wanted to check it. Booted up and noticed something looked off. I tried to eject the disk that had been stuck and the guy was looking at the repair paperwork and said there was no indication of a disk; I told him that I wouldn't have said there was a disk stuck in it if there wasn't a disk; it was there and came out. But the display was wrong. They put a standard display on instead of the high-resolution one. And the screw is still missing on the bottom. I have to bring the computer back when I get back next week because they didn't have any high-res displays at their store. They put the order in for the new one, but it won't be here before tomorrow and definitely won't get put on before I leave for the airport by 3PM.

It was when I posted that to FB that several people said I should call to complain.

2. 184550 Guest

With something that minor, I wouldn't bother escalating the situation.

3. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Go on your trip, get it fixed when you get back. It's an honest mistake. You're not going to get anything for it, and sure, you're just "half joking" about getting a free iPad, but I'm sure you want something out of their mistake...

4. wpotere Guest

Have to agree, why not just call them and explain it. It could have been a simple mistake and I'm sure they will make it right.

5. astrostu thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, so the advise is not to call to make the manager aware and demand an iPad :p.

Note a bit more background: Picked up my laptop today and before I signed, I said I wanted to check it. Booted up and noticed something looked off. I tried to eject the disk that had been stuck and the guy was looking at the repair paperwork and said there was no indication of a disk; I told him that I wouldn't have said there was a disk stuck in it if there wasn't a disk; it was there and came out. But the display was wrong. They put a standard display on instead of the high-resolution one. And the screw is still missing on the bottom. I have to bring the computer back when I get back next week because they didn't have any high-res displays at their store. They put the order in for the new one, but it won't be here before tomorrow and definitely won't get put on before I leave for the airport by 3PM.

It was when I posted that to FB that several people said I should call to complain.

6. wpotere Guest

Yep, situation is being resolved, why escalate it.

Sorry, no free iPads. ;)

7. 184550 Guest

It really boils down to what you want to do about the situation. If you feel the need to call and complain to the manager, then by all means do.

However, it sounds like Apple has recognized their error(s) and have agreed to fix it/ them.

I'm not sure what good it'll do to call and complain to the manager at this point. Unless of course you're just looking for a freebie or for someone to stroke your ego.

8. astrostu thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry, wpotere, may not be explaining myself quite clearly still.

1. Problem yesterday, brought in, repair made.
    2. Picked up today.
    3. Tried it in the store and pointed out they put the wrong screen on.
    4. They put in a new repair order for the correct screen, but it will be a bit before it gets here. I took the computer with me 'cause I need it for a trip and will bring it back next week to get the screen replaced after they send me the e-mail that the part's in.

5. I mentioned this as an update on FB 'cause I had posted on Monday when the screen died and then Tuesday when it was a fix covered by AppleCare.
    6. FB friends told me that this was shocking from Apple and I should make sure the manager or customer service knew about it.
    7. I don't normally do this (I've never done it actually) so figured I'd ask here for advice.

8. Advice is pointing to not calling, so I won't. :)

9. wpotere Guest

You explained it fine, I just didn't read it clearly (I have the flu and I am on some drugs right now). ;) I changed my post above to make more sense. ;)

10. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

I don't find there to be a point. It was a mistake, it's not like they're going to criticize whoever repaired it (I would think). If they said they're going to fix it, the problem is resolved.

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

I'm curious why your FB friends find it shocking that a person made a mistake. :confused:

Side note, you got your Mac repaired in less than 24 hours during the holiday rush? Wow. At the store I worked at, all of the students returning home from the break and dropping off their broken Macs really really swamped the Genius Bar until a little after the New Year! A 3-day turn around felt like "express" then. :eek:

12. astrostu thread starter macrumors 6502

Cult/façade of invulnerability?

Well, they *said* they had the parts in. Just the wrong parts ...

13. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

You don't seem like pushy bastard, so I'd ignore your friends on this one. They just made an honest mistake, it happens, even at Apple. You'll be okay without the high res for a week, and cutting them a break is the nice thing to do, especially around the holidays.

14. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

If your Hi-Res display was a glossy one, there might not have been an obvious way to know that you had one.

I'd imagine they're pretty swamped these days (we are at my store, that's for sure) and it's an honest mistake. You gotta allow even techs to be human once in a while.

15. wpotere Guest

I would agree with the swamped bit and human error, but surely the tech could have simply ran the serial number to get what the machine has installed. Bottom line is that it shouldn't have happened.

That all being said, I usually will give one mistake to a company as nobody is perfect. ;)

16. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

There might be no indication anywhere in GSX that it has a Hi-Res. If that is the case, you'd have to look at a functional display to know, or track down the original order, which they might not have the authorization to do.