Registering an expired domain name?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by jent, Oct 14, 2010.

1. jent macrumors 6502a

jent

I would like to buy a domain name that expires today. I got the WHOIS results from GoDaddy and it turns out GoDaddy is the registrar. Is there any way I can be notified when sometime today the domain name expires and then try to buy it?

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Just because the domain expires today doesn't mean you can buy it today. The owner has a grace period in which to renew even after expiration. It can take up to 75 days for an expired domain to become available, and you have no idea how many people besides you are waiting for that domain to become free.

Here's an interesting read on obtaining an expiring domain.

3. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

If you can register it, do it, no one is going to stop you. But sometimes whois is not very accurate, there can be a delay if the company renewed the site a day or two ago.

We wanted to buy a domain from a company (we have the same name) and we were willing to give them thousands, but they wouldn't budge. One day, the domain expired, we registered for it and there was nothing they could do to get it back.

4. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Typically a registrar will give the owner 30 days as a grace period to renew the domain - and also typically also charge them extra for the renewing under the grace period. iPowerWeb once tried to stiff me $200 because my domain went into the grace period (which was their fault anyway, but long story.)

If you really want this domain, consider putting one of those reservations on it, because likely once a domain expires it will be snatched up pretty quick by some domain clearing house.

5. Lisa-noob macrumors newbie

Ha, even if a domain name is expired it doesn't appear on sale right away. There 2 grace periods given to the domain name owner (!) to renew it. The first can take up to 75 days as Darth.Titan states but the second period also exists (30 days). And even the domain name passed 2 period it may still be unavailable as the hosting company can hold it for some time.
    So... quite unclear prospect I have to say