Registering an iPod (Touch)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ChristopheJD, Aug 24, 2008.

1. ChristopheJD macrumors regular

I plan on buying an iPod Touch after the (unconfirmed) updates this September, and I plan on using my mom's iTunes account, as I have already purchased music under her name. However, I would like to know if the iPod I will buy will be registered under her name if I link it with her account. I would much rather have the iPod itself under my name.

The question is: Can I register the iPod under my name, but under her account?

If not:
    I do have my own credit card now, and if I change the name on the billing address, will it change the iPod register-er's name?

2. California King macrumors 65816

Why do you care if it's under your Mom's name? You're not going to see it anywhere on the iPod. The only place you'll see it most often is on the bill.

3. ChristopheJD thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry to be rude, but that wasn't the answer I was looking for. When I own something, I prefer to own it under my name, and no one elses. My mom and I don't even share a last name. I know it probably doesn't mean much, but I still prefer the idea of me "fully" owning the thing.

EDIT:
    I didn't really read and understand your reply. I got it now. Still, isn't there an info section on an iPod which lists the name of the person who registered it? Most people could care less, but its something I'd still rather have on my name.

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Registration != iTunes Account. You can certainly link it to any account for the iTunes Account and any other account for the Registration.

TEG

5. euanmackie macrumors member

What's the difrence between the music not being in your name then.. Why does it matter with the iPod? It will be using your iTunes acount on the ipod/ but you can register it in yours, if it makes you feel better. But the music on it will be in your moms!!

6. ChristopheJD thread starter macrumors regular

That does make me feel better. That's all I needed to know. Music sharing, I don't mind, however.

7. euanmackie macrumors member

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I don't think I ever bothered registering my Touch. It's not like you have to register it in order to use it.

9. ChristopheJD thread starter macrumors regular

But don't you have to plug it into iTunes and register it?

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Registering the iPod does not apply a person's name to the iPod, all it does is updates Apple Date-Of-Purchase server so that the warranty info is up to date.

Always register your stuff but it doesn't have any bearing on who actually owns it.

11. macbooker15 macrumors 6502

i think he meant that u dont hav to add an itunes account, but when u plug ur ipod into the computer u'll have a chance to name the iPod and add an itunes account, if u want to

EDIT: D'oh Beat to the answer!

12. ChristopheJD thread starter macrumors regular