Registering for WIFI for my college campus

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sup3rknova, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Sup3rknova macrumors regular

Sup3rknova

They need this info filled out.
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us Is it safe to give all this info to them? Also they said even MAC users need anti virus software installed. We all know its rare for macs to get one. What does everyone use? if any.

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

It's your school, they've got 10x that amount of information on you already, if it's anything like mine. Not much you can do unless you don't want to get online, anyways.

As far as virus protection, just tell them you have XProtect. It's built in to Mac OS X. They don't need to know that it's incredibly basic, since they obviously also don't know that Macs don't get viruses (currently, of course, since there are none).

jW

3. Sup3rknova thread starter macrumors regular

Sup3rknova

I assume it is built into Lion as well? Ive been reading people use ClamXav as well. Its in the app store.

4. wilsonlaidlaw macrumors 6502

wilsonlaidlaw

Virus protection for Mac IS a good idea

Virus protection for Macs is a good idea. Apart from anything else, it will prevent you unintentionally passing on a virus in an email to PC user friends. Unlike the common myth, there are a number of Mac Trojans about nowadays. The evil goblins have noted that Mac penetration is up to around 25% for laptops in the US and see this as their next target.

I have used Intego Virus Barrier X for years and it has caught or detected a few viruses. It also catches malignant websites, phishing and spyware. Unlike Norton or Symantec, if you don't like it, it comes with a proper uninstall routine.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, XProtect is built into Snow Leopard and Lion. If you must run a 3rd party antivirus app, ClamXav is probably the best choice. It detects both Mac and Windows malware and doesn't put heavy demands on your system.
    A better solution is to make sure your PC using friends are running their own antivirus, to protect them from malware from all sources, not just files they receive from you.
    There is no myth. There have been Mac trojans for years. There just are no viruses.
    Windows viruses, that is.

Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.