Registering iP4 on iTunes @ store + installing apps w/o internet

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MrSingh, Jun 22, 2010.

1. MrSingh macrumors regular

Few quick questions (i will be an iPhone newbie on thursday :):

- I guess the only way i can tether my iP4 to my 10v hackintosh without paying o2's 'extra charges' (i pay for unlimited data - who cares which device i use it with!!!!) will be by jailbreaking right? Any other way?...because i hear jailbreaking cause problems including sluggishness and to be honest i'd prefer not unless it was a must.

- I will have a long train journey back home from Apple Store and then shortly afterwards will have another long train journey. If i put my already activated micro-sim into my iP4 at the store, what will i be able to do with it on my train back...or will i need to 'register' via iTunes first before i can mess with it?

- If I have to register it via iTunes before i can do anything with it then i guess i can do this on a Mac at the store right (making sure i sign out properly after having finished doing this ofcourse)?

- I have already downloaded the apps i will be installing via iTunes to my netbook. i'm guessing i simply plug the ip4 into my netbook and install them on the way home...or will i need an internet connection to install already 'downloaded' apps?

2. PG-Monkey macrumors regular

No idea one question 1.

Question2: I believe if they are transferring your contacts, E-mail over then they are going to activate it at the store for you so this actually saves you a job.

Question3: If you need to activate it then you can do this on a mac instore there all connected to the internet ;)

Question4: You do not need an internet connection to install already downloaded apps. You only need the internet to update apps and you could do this on the phone over the air (Providing there not huge and require a wifi connection - although you could go into a McDonalds and borrow theres!)

3. twoism macrumors member

In regards to the tethering, on previous iPhones it was possible through jailbreak, but it goes against O2's fair usage policy, and there is no jailbreak for the iPhone 4 yet.

4. PG-Monkey macrumors regular

Depends though as there is a Jailbreak for iOS4.

5. MrSingh thread starter macrumors regular

6. Googlyhead macrumors 6502

TBH, it seems to only have been a problem on the older hardware; My 3G was just that little bit less pleasant to use, yet a friend with a 3GS had no such issues. I can only presume any performance / stability issues will be even less with the iP4's faster processor and far greater RAM (3G=128MB, 3GS=256MB, iP4=1/2 GB)
    That, and the number of mods installed (I needed to install a fair few extras back at the start, but now with folders, backgrounds, multitasking etc, it's quite possible that tethering is the only thing most JBs would install.

Still a bit of hassle though, to have to install the base SW twice, then resync all apps every upgrade.

Not just cellular data; the contract states unlimited use of WIFI too, yet if I sign in with my iPad (entering my o2 number), i'm told the device has no data contract. What gives, O2?

7. PG-Monkey macrumors regular

Its a blatant con by o2 and all the other carriers as well. If you had a HTC Desire for example you can use that as a WiFi hotspot and use the 3G for internet then. Whats the difference between that and tethering on your iPhone?

8. MrSingh thread starter macrumors regular

yep - that's why i'm completely NOT going to give them an extra penny for thethering plans. i pay for an unlimited data connection - so i will use whatever device i want.

i don't use any p2p software, torrents etc. I don't even use any pirated software as a matter of principle...i wouldn't be watching videos or even downloading massive amoutns of music...because i wouldn't want to be selfish with it.

all i want to do is be able to surf via my netbook's 10 inch screen now and then when out and about and be able to type emails 'properly'. but this policy of there's is in my opinion immoral and due to pure greed...so i refuse to go along with it. jailbreaking - here i come!