Registering my American (Verizon) iphone 4 in Canada

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jhussman, Jul 14, 2011.

1. jhussman macrumors newbie

I am just wondering if anyone knows how to register my American (Verizon) iphone 4 in Canada. I know that to register it, it needs to do so on Verizon cellphone towers, but I am in Toronto and am only in proximity of Canadian carrier towers. Is there anyway to make my phone think it is connected to Verizon towers or simply to register it from Canada? Thankks a lot

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

3. jhussman thread starter macrumors newbie

4. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Eh I'm pretty sure Bell still has CDMA2000 running in addition to their new HSPA+ Network....

5. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I live in Canada and I am almost positive that no carrier here will register a CDMA iPhone.

6. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Verizon in the US offers a plan for both the US and Canada. That might be something to consider. I don't know if you are now living in Canada or just there for a few months. Up in Canada it is Rogers that is the carrier. I was just up there near Toronto visiting relatives living in Mississauga.

Maybe sell your current iPhone 4 and get an iPhone 5 in September from Rogers.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's what I thought too.
    Even though they have it for old subscribers they are phasing it out and won't activate a Verizon iPhone on it.

8. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Exactly. CDMA exists on a small scale here with Bell and Telus, only for the older phones but all smartphones are GSM here, except for Koodo, I believe. But they're going out of business so. :p

To be completely honest, I don't think that any carrier would even be capable of activating the Verizon iPhone 4 here even if it were unlocked/unlockable, I don't believe that the systems are capable of activating an iPhone that isn't GSM.

9. jhussman thread starter macrumors newbie

It's actually my dad's business phone and I live in Toronto. I have an iphone 4 on Rogers, but thanks for the help. Really appreciate it. Turns out my girlfriend was driving up to Niagara on the Lake and took the phone with her. She was able to connect to a Verizon tower so it is now activated.

10. jhussman thread starter macrumors newbie

Also, I don't think the iPhone 5 is going to come out until atleast Q4.