Registering to iOS developer program as minor

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Samppaa, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Samppaa macrumors regular

Hey, me and my friend have been working on an app for pretty long time and we think it could be released soon. So we are 16 and 17 years old and we are thinking is it possible for us to publish it? I have read of minors releasing apps in the app store before. Would it be possible to register under my or his parents name and use our names as the publisher or something? Our app is finnish app so we're only publishing it in the finnish app store we think. Thanks in advance!

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

That should be OK. The Seller would be the registered adult, but the publisher would be something else...

B

3. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

You can have a parent sign up but make sure they are comfortable with all the various implications (legal, taxes, etc.) since they are the ones signing the contracts. Also, as to the name that would appear, see this from the iOS Developer Program Enrollment support page:
    That "personal name" will be the parent's name, in your case.

4. rossipoo macrumors regular

I don't go by my legal first name, and I for the store display I used my middle name instead. But of course I used my first name for all the legal forms.

I don't recall exactly how the process works, but I believe that at some point during the registration process it asks for a "display name".

I think that you probably could use two different names like how you want to.

5. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

The relationship with Apple requires a contract so the account holder has to be of legal age to sign contracts, which is 18 in the US. Almost certainly Apple requires that the account holder be 18 in Finnland also. One of your parents can do this but most likely anyone under 18 cannot.

You don't mention if the app is free or pay. If a pay app then Apple requires a bank account to deposit any earnings. Best would be if you and your friend have a joint bank account so there can't be any question of how much money each of you is owed. A joint account that you can both access would be better than having the money deposited to your parents' account and then your parents having to distribute it to the two of you.

6. Samppaa, Mar 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2011

Samppaa thread starter macrumors regular

We have opened a joint bank account for that. Thanks guys, great to know that our app can see daylight! ;)

By the way, do we have to create a new account for my dad or can use my account with his billing information?