"Registering" Windows 7 RC

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by MyDesktopBroke, Jan 7, 2010.

1. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

I installed Windows 7 when they were giving it as a release candidate, and had never really expected to keep it on my MBP. But since then, I bought some games from Steam during the holiday sales and don't want to lose them. I'm also going to away to college and won't bring by desktop Dell with me so I'll probably need Windows for something.

Is there any way I can buy or "register" the copy of Windows 7 I have installed right now so I don't have to redownload the stuff on Steam (or reinstall Windows for that matter)? If I do have to reinstall, should I be worried about DRM on the games (Bioshock in particular)?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You will definitely have to reinstall a retail copy of Win7
    There is no way to register or upgrade the RC

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, MS was pretty clear in that you need to fully reinstall the retail version of win7.

Personally I'd reformat and reinstall because you don't want to some outdated dlls/code to conflict with your system. We are talking about windows after all ;)

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

There were some articles about enabling an in-place upgrade from RC->RTM via registry edits, but as maflynn says I would not recommend that. Too much risk in having something unstable around.

B

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

With Steam games you can copy the entire Steam folder to a backup and then reload onto your new system. I upgraded from XP to Windows 7 doing just that and it works (after some initial redownloading and repair).

6. MyDesktopBroke thread starter macrumors 6502