regression troubles

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NorrieMacK, Dec 16, 2014.

1. NorrieMacK macrumors newbie

I was not sure whether to post this under MacbookPro, Lion, or Idiot.
    I have a 27inch imac running now in Yosemite. I have been an apple user since 2007.
    With the Yosemite upgrade I lost the use of AdobeGoLive the app I built my website with. With the thought that I might buy a Laptop regress the OS to Snow Leopard and continue in my comfort zone. I purchased a MacBookPro running Lion. I cleared out the Lion and to complete the action slapped in the disc received with my iMac all those years ago. OK cut a long story short I loaded the Apps disk instead of the OS X install disc and now Disc utility won't let me erase the apps install disc. It starts to erase then as it shows "mounting Disc" it drops out.

Any sensible advice as to how to proceed would be a kindness!

2. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Hi,

you can't install Snow Leopard on the Macbook Pro with the OS install disc that came with your iMac.

This is simply not possible, since the OS install discs are model-specific.

What model of Macbook Pro ?

3. NorrieMacK thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Brono.

Early 2011. I'll worry about the discs once I get the info I loaded by mistake out.

4. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

The Early 2011 models shipped with SL 10.6.6 or 10.6.7.

Therefore, the SL (10.6.3) DVD currently for sale on the Apple Store is useless...

To install SL on this Macbook, you need the original grey DVDs that originally shipped with.

5. NorrieMacK thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers Bruno but my problem here is how to get the Info installed in error out of the Macbook HD as disc utility is not making it happen any thoughts on this?

6. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

If the Macbook had Lion installed, it should have a Recovery partition.

You might boot up from there and erase all from Disk Utility.

This would not help you installing SL though : you could only reinstall Lion.

7. NorrieMacK thread starter macrumors newbie

8. NorrieMacK thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Bruno,

I have lion back on board and will consider what steps to take from here. N

9. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Not sure what you mean exactly : you managed to re-install Lion by OS X Recovery, and wonder how to now install Snow Leopard, right ?

10. NorrieMacK thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats right ! I reinstalled Lion as you suggested in order to cure the problem I created for myself and i am at least back to square one.

I sill want this macbook pro to run in SL

11. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Well, as previously said, you can not use the retail install disc sold by Apple because it is a 10.6.3 version, when your Macbook Pro Early 2011 came with 10.6.6.

Here are a few options :

1. get the original grey install DVDs that originally came with that model.
    The best option of course.

2. find someone who has a 10.6.8 installer (if this exists, not sure...) and make a bootable USB stick or external drive.

3. on an older Mac, make a clean install of 10.6.3, then upgrade to 10.6.8 by Software Update, then clone this fresh system to an external drive, then clone the clone to your internal disk.

4. others...

Note that since you have Lion installed, you also have a hidden recovery partition that would prevent you to install SL.
    You will need to boot up from the DVD or the external drive, then from Disk Utility erase the WHOLE disc (not Macintosh HD only), the one with a brand name (Toshiba, Samsung, Hitachi, etc..) at the very top of the list in Disk Utility.

12. NorrieMacK thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Bruno that gives me plenty to think about and I won't rush into it. When I get there eventually I'll come back and advise the way I chose,

Best regards Norrie

13. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Which model of Macbook is it exactly (model identifier) and where do you live ?

14. NorrieMacK thread starter macrumors newbie

MacBook Pro13 inch early 2011

model identifier 8,1

processor - 2.3Ghz intel core i5

4 GB 1333mhz DDR3

I'm in the UK

15. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

I have the very same model, so if you can't find a solution I can send you a copy of my install DVD.

16. NorrieMacK thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Bruno,

if you have the discs to load SL into my Macbook Pro I would be pleased to loan them from you and would be happy to return them and look after postage both ways.

I dont want to offer my home address here but if you contact me on administrator@northofthetyne.co.uk we can sort something out.

www.northofthetyne.co.uk is my website Castles and Illustrated Walks in Northumberland.

much obliged N

17. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Hi,

I just sent an email to you through your website.