Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

circularforward

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010
I just bought a new 13" 2.4 for my wife the other day. I own the 2.66, but that's because I got it for a killer deal a couple months ago.

I left the original 5400rpm drive in there and the brand new MBP seemed like it was slower than snot. In fact, it seemed on par with the 2008 MacBook it replaced. I took the 5400rpm out and replaced it with a WD Scorpio Black 320GB 7200rpm drive. That alone transformed the computer. i.e. Google Earth is less than half a second slower to load than my SSD.

Bottom line: Faster HDD or SSD is what you are after.

I agree completely. I went from a 2009 macbook to the i7 mbp. The macbook had a 7k500 in it and the mbp the stock drive. For startup of apps, there are many instances when I don't really notice much of a difference because the 7k500 performs so well. I remember when I switched it originally in the macbook; everything seemed to be twice as fast immediately. I'm sure I'll experience the same when I switch out the stock drive of the mbp soon. I'm waiting to see which one of the new 7200rpm drives is best.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Just wondering if the 2.66ghz Macbook pro would have any noticeable increase, since i notice the 2.4ghz model i have is slower then my other computer. But, i guess perhaps a faster hard drive will give me what im looking for.

Just wondering or you know? You seemed to have come out right away and said you regretted it so you must know or believe you know that the 2.66 is somehow going to be better than the 2.4.

In numbers on paper perhaps, real life application, not at all. The fact is if the 2.66 was say an i5 then yes, 2.66 i5 > 2.4 hands down. However, you seem to believe that you don't have enough based on .26 mHz. I think you need ram first then check out an SSD or a faster RPM drive.

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
Put a SSD in your MacBook Pro and it will completely solve all of the problems that you're talking about. A faster processor won't help much for them.

totally true. My SSD gives one bounce, actually it doesn't even get a chance to finish the bounce. it's jumps and then app loads lol. SSD all the way!

El Zanto

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2010
As others have said, get an ssd over a 2.66. One of my friends has recently purchased a 2.4 mbp13 with the standard 5400rpm drive and his firefox app loads up instantly so I'm not too sure why yours is taking its time.

Anyways, I have this video bookmarked as it's a good one showing the power of an ssd with an mbp13. It's a 2.53 c2d but the difference between that and a 2.4 is so small it's unnoticeable - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioY380Fm7j4&feature=related

you-of-eh

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2010
What do you have to sacrifice to get the SSD in there along with your HDD? The optical drive?

Meever

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2009
Yes, you would have to make your drive external. Along with a minimal hit on the battery life. You also have to change some settings here and there.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
I'd suggest a Momentus XT or scorpio black to the OP. Depending on how much you want to spend or how much space you need can dictate that. The momentus would give a bigger boost, but costs about twice as much. Personally, I am pleased with the scorpio black I bought. I hardly notice any difference with sound and vibration, but it is a decent boost in performance.

SidBala

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
The 2.66 ghz wont make a difference. Even if you were running at 100% load, its still only a 10% increase.

atrac7

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
...dunno what's with the OP's MBP...my 13" 2.4 loads firefox in about a second (turned off the bouncing icon). It should not take 5+ seconds.

neteng101

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
SSD will make all the difference, the 2.66 won't. And what's all this advice about upgrading RAM - 4GB is plenty enough unless one is running VMs.

It was night and day going from a 320GB 5400 rpm drive to the Hitachi 7K500 for me, and the SSD will be even that much faster.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Just wondering if the 2.66ghz Macbook pro would have any noticeable increase, since i notice the 2.4ghz model i have is slower then my other computer. But, i guess perhaps a faster hard drive will give me what im looking for.

There's also the fact that you are comparing a mac to a PC, firefox was developped for windows in the first place, of course it'll be faster on the PC. That and the fact that windows xp uses about half the ressources snow leopard does and you've got your speed difference right there.

Unless you're doing very processor intensive tasks, you will not notice a thing between the two MBP's. The processor just isn't the bottleneck, here.

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
Crucial has the 256GB SSD on sale for $399 I think.
Get that first and if you have money, then go for the 8GB upgrade.

Those two will boost performance more than that 2.4 ---> 2.66 upgrade.

1finite

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Aside from higher price/lesser storage, what is the downside of using a SSD?

Performance degradation over time. OWC Mercury Extreme seems to have fixed this though. Just moved all my media over to my AirDisk, so I'm thinking of going for the OWC 60gig for $180 now that I can survive without 250+ gigs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.