regret not getting applecare with my new rmbp....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gizmo84, Apr 10, 2015.

1. gizmo84 macrumors member

I got my 13" MacBook pro last night and I didn’t get apple care with it. I know you can get it within a year after, but I bought it with an AMEX card which offers an extra year on to the warranty. so if I got apple care I would have a 4 year (3 year AC + 1 year AMEX) warranty vs 2 years (1 year apple + 1 year amex). Should I go return it or see if they can do an exchange and add apple care on the exchange? In order to get 4 years of warranty it has to have ac on the original receipt...

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

No, it doesn't add up like that. It's concurrent.

3. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Correct. AMEX simply extends the factory warranty by one year from the date of purchase. It wouldn't add a year on to an extended warranty. It doesn't work that way.

So if you bought the AppleCare plan within the first year, you'd still have a warranty lasting a year longer than what you'd get from AMEX. My recommendation is that if you decide you do want AppleCare after all, get it from Amazon. It's much cheaper there ($174.00 vs. $249.00).

4. Idefix macrumors 6502

You've got one year to get Applecare, which gives you 3 years of coverage.

Your Amex gives you one year of coverage beyond the original one-year warranty. It does not add a year onto Applecare.

So, in reality, Applecare only gives you that third year of coverage.

I bought my MBP using AMEX without Applecare. I carefully monitored the MBP's reputation during that first year. At the end of the first year, I decided that the MBP's reputation was good enough that I would forgo buying Applecare.

Worked out just fine.

5. gizmo84 thread starter macrumors member

6. diesel macrumors 6502a

I believe that you're the one who might be incorrect. Prior to purchasing my rmbp, I did some research online and there were multiple examples where people utilized the amex extended warranty within the year after any purchased extended applecare expired. This is also stated in the terms for my card. In fact, that is one of the reasons why I purchased my rmbp using an amex card.

To make sure that the amex policies have not changed I went to:

http://www.americanexpress.com/us/content/card-benefits/extended-warranty-terms.html

It may very well depend on your specific amex card but for mine here is the specific policy:

DESCRIPTION OF BENEFITS
    Where a Loss has occurred during this Plan's extended warranty time period of up to one (1) additional year, We will provide a benefit equal to the coverage of the original manufacturer's warranty on warranties of up to five (5) years. We will pay up to the actual amount charged to Your Account for the product for which a Loss is claimed, but not to exceed $10,000. If the product also is covered by a purchased service contract, this Plan’s extended warranty time period begins at the end of the service contract and extends the original manufacturer’s warranty for a period of time equal to that warranty, up to one (1) additional year. If the combined coverage of the original manufacturer’s warranty and the purchased service contract exceed five (5) years, the product purchased is not eligible under this Plan and no coverage applies.

Based on the above policy, Amex should provide an additional 1 year coverage beyond applecare so you should have a total of 4 years (year 1- original coverage, years 2-3 - extended applecare, year 4-amex extended warranty).

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Ok. I hope you don't have to file a claim in year 4. You might be in for a surprise. Good luck.

8. diesel macrumors 6502a

Hopefully i've moved onto a I9/32/1TB macbook by then :)