Regret not getting Magic Trackpad 2

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by UOThief, Dec 5, 2015.

1. UOThief, Dec 5, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2015

UOThief macrumors newbie

My new iMac just arrived in the mail a couple days ago and I am almost immediately regretting not getting the Magic Trackpad 2 instead of the mouse.

This is my first iMac, but I've had my iPad Air 2 for over a year and I use it on a daily basis. I use the multi-touch gestures on my iPad all the time and I find myself struggling to find similar functions with just the mouse & keyboard.

I just ordered a Magic Trackpad 2 a few minutes ago and I think it will all feel much better. I will probably rarely use the mouse after this. I'm a light gamer and will likely use a gamepad for the types of games I play.

~my thoughts

2. twilexia macrumors 6502

I got the late 2015 imac too (btw great configuration - I got the same as you except with 3TB, but 1TB SSD is WAY better). Ordered with the trackpad, never use it. I'm more of a mouse guy. Still, I enjoy having the trackpad next to my mouse for the occasional 2-finger zoom (this is IMO the only thing the trackpad does better than the mouse).

Everything else from clicking and dragging (the main function), double clicking, right clicking, all of this is easier to do on the mouse. I know there's more functions like 2-3 finger swipes that get you other benefits, but honestly nothing beats the mouse if you want to speed through your work.

That being said both are fantastic, top of the line for sure and way better than any windows accessory I've ever used.

3. UOThief thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I can definitely see it as a personal preference thing.

I'm just very familiar with all the multitouch functions on my iPad at this point where I miss a lot of those shortcuts with just mouse + keyboard.

4. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

I used the original Magic Trackpad for a few years. I upgraded my computer and went for the Magic Trackpad 2, which I've now been using for a bit over a month.

The gestures aren't any different. I never had trouble with the Magic Trackpad's gestures (which I use pretty extensively), and the Magic Trackpad 2 is about the same for me. If anything, there's currently a weird issue with some Magic Trackpad 2's when used wirelessly (but not when plugged in) where there's a lack of sensitivity at the start of the touching; hopefully this can be resolved with software. I think the tracking surface is better (I would occasionally go off the top of the tracking surface on the original trackpad, but haven't had any issues with the new model), and it looks nicer.

What I really like about the Magic Trackpad 2 is the Force Touch. I use my trackpad on a mousepad that had a wrist rest - not because I need the tracking surface, but for that wrist rest. The downside is that pushing down on the trackpad just causes the trackpad to sink into the mousepad a bit, which made physically clicking with the original Magic Trackpad a pain. That was generally fine, because I'd just tap to click anyway. With the Magic Trackpad 2, the "physical click" is based on sensing pressure applied, rather than causing something to physically trigger. It's pretty amazing, actually, because it still feels like something is clicking (and there's even a built-in speaker that makes a "click" sound to further fool you into this - you can disable the audio from your settings). Force Touch is also a pretty neat thing for other reasons; for example, in Keynote, if an object "snaps" to something (like a guide) then the trackpad gives you that physical feedback. Hopefully more apps will incorporate that sort of thing, because it's really neat.

Hopefully the new trackpad will resolve your issues with gestures. I like the new trackpad, but the old one was certainly functional...

5. c8rlo macrumors 6502

c8rlo

x2, for me as twilexia mentions; using a mouse speeds in aiding all my work.

6. mac666er macrumors regular

I'm also a guy with a trackpad 2 and a mouse. But I lean more towards using the trackpad more.

It is just easier to scroll, especially sideways. I can just zoom in, pan right, down and then zoom out. Try that on a browser with a mouse.

Then I do gaming and a couple of other tasks that definitely can't use the trackpad.

Congratulations on your iMac!