Regret updating to 5.1.

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bbmiLo, May 8, 2012.

1. bbmiLo macrumors regular

I use my ipad2 for web browsing, games and book reading, that's about it. I didn't care to update the IOS since the new features don't matter to me. Yesterday I finally tried to update to 5.1.1 just for the heck of it, it turned out to be a bad idea, should have known better.

1) All the 3rd party apps could not start after the update.
    A quick search pointed at the solution of deleting and reinstalling one app. I did that, it fixed 90% of the problem. I have few apps just wouldn't start no matter what. I can't delete and reinstall those because I would lose the game progress.

2) The media didn't get copied over.
    I thought the backup and restore would make everything the same as before, but nope. I have contacts, calendar and etc, but movies and photos were completely wiped out.

3) I syn'ed again to copy from iPhoto.
    All events lost the original key photo, instead its showing the 1st picture in every event as cover.
    No biggie, I figured I will just manually set the key photo again. Guess what, this is the part that really made me laugh, when you go to an event, pick a photo, it will let you email, let you message, let you assign to contact, let you use as wallpaper, it will even let you f&cking tweet, but it won't let you set it as key photo. What a joke.

You would think a company of Apple's caliber, will make things work smoothly, is it that hard to issue a software update that works without hassle?

No gonna do any more updates unless its absolutely necessary in the future, LOL.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Um, what process did you use to update?

I updated without even noticing anything

3. bbmiLo thread starter macrumors regular

I linked it with a MacBook Pro, and updated via iTunes.

4. number84 macrumors 6502

For the apps, I'm assuming your were on some version of iOS4? Could it be that most of the apps you had were iOS 4 apps that you never updated to an iOS5 version (if they had an update) and that's why they couldn't run properly without reinstalling hence getting the latest version?

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

6. adamryan1983 macrumors member

adamryan1983

same

7. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

Same

8. bbmiLo thread starter macrumors regular

its not jailbroken, and the apps are 5.1 compatible.

more power to those who updated seamlessly.
    but after doing some research, apparently the two issues, apps not working and photo album losing key photo happen to many many people.

9. xraytech macrumors 68020

Snag free upgrade here

Sound like you need to restore and start from scratch.