Regrettable food/drink combinations

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by GanChan, May 21, 2019.

1. GanChan macrumors 6502a

This evening I went to a networking event and had a couple pints of amber ale, then gobbled down a double burger with fries. I feel like I swallowed a beach ball which someone has now decided to inflate. Yuck.

Which booze and food combinations have you learned to avoid?

2. Zenithal macrumors G3

Hot peppers + anything but beer. The burn is terrible. Seafood and some sweet food don't mix very well. The taste is unbearable and the feeling you have at the pit of your stomach is worse.

3. decafjava macrumors 68030

decafjava

I think the "gobbled down" wasn't a help. Maybe a lighter brew say a lager would have been better?

Regrettable, ramen with ajika (a Georgian hot chili paste) and tuna once made for a quick "meal".

No.

Ajika is great in other circumstances, with rice dishes for example.

4. Zenithal macrumors G3

I'm in stitches laughing at your choice. Coincidentally, I once thought taramasalata would go well with ramen I'd bought from a Japanese place when I was younger. God that was awful. Though you lost me at tuna. What did you do? Put curry ketchup on it?

As for your choice, I'll usually stop at a foreign store and pick out the runnier brands. Not very fond of the thicker styles.

5. decafjava macrumors 68030

decafjava

No curry ketchup, come-on, I'm not that much of a culinary savage. It was in the middle of semester when commuting, organizing classes and visits kind of left me little time for groceries (here in this country almost all shops including groceries close early except in train stations, airports, or local corner shops that are much more expensive).

I like the pastes (including harrisa) though it's better for cooking than as a table condiment.

6. Zenithal macrumors G3

That we know of. :p

7. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

A rough rule of thumb would be that such pastes (and I lived and worked in Georgia for a few years, and thus, am more than familiar with their cuisine, including ajika, which, agreed, does go very well with rice dishes, and with meat) go best with food from the country where the paste originates from.

For ramen, Asian chilli pastes work well.

8. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I’m not fond of ginger beer so solo or paired with nearly anything (even mules) would be a bad combination for me. I’ve tried liking it, but it’s a no-go.

9. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

I had long loved the thought of ginger beer (a longing that dated from my childhood when reading Enid Blyton books where the children picnicked, the food almost invariably washed down with "lashings of ginger beer").

Then, artisan producers began to offer old style soft drinks, such as ginger beer, and I found I didn't much care for it.

However, I adore old style lemonade. Actually, I like anything with a strong lemon flavour.

10. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I like the hint of fresh ginger in food, sauces, and marinades. It’s essential to develop some flavor depths and really delicious. Ginger in the ginger beer is just overwhelming.

I drink (store bought) lemonade with a squeeze/slice of navel orange in the glass. Lemon zest and juice with pasta is wonderful.

11. Scepticalscribe, May 23, 2019
    Last edited: May 23, 2019

Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Oh, agreed.

Actually, in general, I love ginger.

Ginger in hot and sour soup, or in any curry or chilli dish, is amazing. Ginger and garlic are a classic combination.

And it is fantastic in some Asian style fish broths, or stir fries, or even when consumed as a hot ginger drink with lemon when unwell can also be brilliant.

But yes, ginger beer did not live up to what my imagination and memory had stored away.

Mind you, I have a horrid feeling that if I ever encountered butter-beer in real life, as opposed to reading about it as a part of the Harry Potter universe, my feelings would be somewhat similar.

12. decafjava macrumors 68030

decafjava

Never read Harry Potter but found this:

https://www.favfamilyrecipes.com/butterbeer/
    Sounds ... unappealing. I like ice cream and ice cream desserts but this is too cloying and heavy.

13. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Personally, I love sweet and salty combinations, (Parma ham, Iberico ham, butterscotch, salted caramel, shortbread biscuits), but think that this could be a little rich, too.

14. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Garlic-ginger butter is nice with lobster. Even with a little lime too.

15. Zenithal macrumors G3

A ginger beer from what was explained to me the last time I asked is something like a radler without the citrus aspect but with a ginger aspect. Though apparently there's alcoholic versions and non-alcoholic versions, too. I bought some ginger syrup someone recommended to me. It's not bad, but a few weeks ago I had some extra strong ginger tea made from powdered ginger that had gone cold and that I topped off with ice cold seltzer. It was very tasty if not a bit spicy.

16. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

When I was a kid, and saw Sesame Street (a brilliant show) on TV, I used to wonder about the "peanut butter and jelly" sandwiches they were always on about.

The combination always struck me as rather odd, - because, in British English the noun "jelly" does not mean what it seems to in American English; what you call "jelly" we describe as "jam". Our Side of The Pond, what is described as a "jelly" is something quite different, and, thus, when I first heard mention of this sandwich, I thought it utterly bizarre.

So, a peanut and jam sandwich........yes, that I can get behind.

However, as a result of watching that show, my brother did request that my mother purchase peanut butter (which was duly bought and devoured). And - years later - tucking into Asian delights, I realised that 'peanut butter' was not so different from the satay sauce I adore.

17. Zenithal macrumors G3

Satay sauce goes well with anything really. The key to a good peanut butter is the variety of peanuts used, their natural sugar content and how long they're roasted. Salt should be the only other ingredient.

18. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Any particular recommendations re very good brands for peanut butter?

Agree that satay sauce goes with virtually everything.