Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
I regret buying Applecare for my iPad

Why oh why did I spend 60 pounds on Applecare for my iPad?

Ahh well, there's not much I can do now ;x

DollFaceDork

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2011
Narnia

I think you would regret not buying it if you drop your iPad or something happens to it once the warranty is out you'd want to kick yourself in the head.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Surely you knew what you were getting when you purchased AppleCare. Even if nothing does go wrong, at the minimum, you get peace of mind. Over two years, you're spending 2.5 pounds a month which is nothing if you want to look at it that way.

RossMc

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
Newcastle, UK
Good buy in my opinion as if you sell it when the next iPad comes out you have an extra incentive for someone to buy it off you and you can always charge a bit extra as you have an extra 2 years warranty on it and then even if you don't sell and upgrade you still have 2 years extra warranty for yourself.

jsh1120

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2011
I know what the OP means. I regret buying auto insurance every time I don't have an accident.

TheSuperSteve

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2011
Puerto Rico
You did the right thing in buying it. You never know what could happen.

I've never bought Apple Care and so far i've never had a problem with any device because i'm really careful. But if something does happen, bang, i'm screwed. You have that extra layer of protection.

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
I have had numerous issues with several devices over the years and Apple Care saved the day. Why happens if 1.5 years from now your device gets several stuck pixels or the screen stops working? You would have to buy a new device...

With AC they will fix it or replace it.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
True, I wish I bought the iPad 2 or waited for the upcoming iPad 3 now :(

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA

It too late now of course, but you would have been much better off getting SquareTrade insurance since AppleCare doesn't give you any kind of damage protection. The chances of an iPad having a hardware related issue are pretty remote, but dropping it and damaging it, much more likely.

pizz

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2007
applecare is a suckers buy. if something is going to go wrong with a device it usually does within the first year. i dont think most people hold on to their gadgets that long anyway these days.

TheGenerous

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2010
I'm an Austronaut
I used AppleCare for the MacBook once, the battery became swollen and they replaced it in three days (in a third world country).

The battery itself would have cost about the same as AppleCare, however at the time it was very convinient.

NOTE: The replacement battery got swollen again and the AppleCare expired so I had to buy a third party battery for the MacBook and is doing just fine

andyroochoo

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2010
Newcastle Upon Tyne. UK
remember, if you are going to post something like this make sure you give your reasons why, it seems a little pointless and just invites the questions and starts a discussion.

so you wasted your money on an iPad AND wasted your money on applecare. sell it on i say.

if i bought something that expensive and it was collecting dust, i sure as hell wouldn't be moaning about it. SELL it and move on.

Bloodraw850

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Florida
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

I buy AppleCare for all my devices

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
Squaretrade is a much better investment in my opinion. I paid around 65 U.S. dollars for a 2-year full warranty that includes ACCIDENTAL damage coverage. (I purchased when they had a 40% off promotion). Of course if I have a simple hardware malfunction, I wont have the convenience of walking into an apple store for repair/replacement. BUT for someone like me thats 3.5 hours away from an Apple store anyway, I wont mind sending it in for any problems.

Squaretrade constantly offers 30% off promotions so if anyone considers that route I would search around for a current coupon code.

P.S. I have yet to make a claim with the coverage and I am in no way affiliated with them, so I can't speak on whether the process is hassle-free or not. But there are thousands of reviews online from Squaretrade customers if you're curious.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
applecare is a suckers buy. if something is going to go wrong with a device it usually does within the first year. i dont think most people hold on to their gadgets that long anyway these days.

Not on all of Apple's products. It cost 169$ (149$ for edu) for 3-year applecare on an iMac. Having worked as an Apple technician I assure you problems do occur on iMac's during the 2-3 year of ownership. Most often it is the hard drive that fails (due to excessive read/write by spotlight indexing). The cost of iMac Applecare is not far from cost of replacement hard drive when you consider most buyers will have to pay someone to perform the installation. But I have also performed several repairs involving the logic board and/or graphics card on less than 3-year old iMacs. Because of this gamble, the cost of AppleCare on iMacs is definitely a value.

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA
My only input is that if you are going to buy AppleCare, don't get it at full price from Apple. Amazon sells it at a good discount and even better prices are available on eBay.

I bought AppleCare for my MacBook Pro from a reliable seller on eBay for close to half the retail price. It activated perfectly and a couple of years later, it was a godsend when my motherboard, hard drive and battery were all replaced by Apple under the AppleCare warranty.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Not on all of Apple's products. It cost 169$ (149$ for edu) for 3-year applecare on an iMac. Having worked as an Apple technician I assure you problems do occur on iMac's during the 2-3 year of ownership. Most often it is the hard drive that fails (due to excessive read/write by spotlight indexing). The cost of iMac Applecare is not far from cost of replacement hard drive when you consider most buyers will have to pay someone to perform the installation. But I have also performed several repairs involving the logic board and/or graphics card on less than 3-year old iMacs. Because of this gamble, the cost of AppleCare on iMacs is definitely a value.

Good post.

Surely you knew what you were getting when you purchased AppleCare. Even if nothing does go wrong, at the minimum, you get peace of mind. Over two years, you're spending 2.5 pounds a month which is nothing if you want to look at it that way.

My position exactly. I have had Applecare on every Apple computer I have owned, and my view is that it gives me peace of mind. The HD failed on my MBP and was replaced under Applecare.

Cheers

Mazda 3s

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
Squaretrade > AppleCare. It's cheaper too with discounts. I got two years including accidental damage coverage for my iPad 2 for $69.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.