Regretting getting the 128gb iPad Pro 9.7

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jojods, Mar 26, 2016.

1. jojods macrumors regular

I'm just thinking about the fact that I probably won't put any music or movies on it so the storage will just be for apps.

I could save £120 if I get the 32gb instead, dunno what to do now as i've already ordered the 128gb :/

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

3. jojods thread starter macrumors regular

not sure if it would be stupid to do that as 128gb might be the better long term option. i've used 22gb on my iPhone

4. StPatty33 macrumors 6502

StPatty33

If the 32 are still available to pre-order, you should be able to cancel your pre-order for the 128 and grab the 32 instead. None have been shipped yet.

I went with the 32 because I plan on using it strictly for work (graphic design). That SHOULD be enough, but I've waffled back and forth between it and one with more storage.

5. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Decidedly undecided. [​IMG]

6. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

These things are not upgradable. I always recommend buying the most storage you can afford. No one ever complained about having too much storage. If you can afford it, leave it and enjoy. If you are going to go hungry because of your choice... you probably shouldn't be buying an iPad in the first place.

7. mikezmac macrumors 6502a

mikezmac

32G is not a lot. You can easily fill that with pics and apps and then what?

8. hugodrax macrumors 6502a

Yeah but maybe he is real tight finance wise and 120 dollars could make the difference between paying the rent or not being able to pay the rent.

9. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Then he probably shouldn't be getting an iPad at all and focus on paying rent.

10. hugodrax macrumors 6502a

If everyone did that Then the economy would collapse into a deflationary spiral.

11. jamesrick80, Mar 26, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016

jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

Because of the cloud, I barely used any of my space on my iPad pro 128 gb lte 12.9 inch , most of my files are stored on onedrive or box or dropbox.....so my iPad pro's memory is only utilized for applications ....

12. FairyCatInPink macrumors regular

FairyCatInPink

It sucks that they don't have the choice of 64GB anymore, so we gotta pick either 32GB or 128GB(I mean there is 256GB as well, but probably that is not necessary to have for many of us). I honestly am not sure if I need 128GB but I picked it, just because they didn't have 64GB, and 32GB seems too small to me. Even you don't put any music and movies, still it's easy to hit around 20GB. I think it's not bad idea to stick with 128GB instead of switching to 32GB, your choice didn't seem wrong to me.

13. burts macrumors newbie

Ive been through 3 ipads, the original 16gb, retina 16gb and air 16gb, I have never filled any of them up..If anything I transfered pictures and videos to my pc from the ipad to free up space on that very rare occassion.

14. Kristine macrumors 6502a

I also ordered the 128GB since there was no 64GB. I am thinking of cancelling and getting the 32GB since I have only used 5GB on my iPad Air 2. I only use it for research/medical papers and reading my purchased textbooks (saves carrying around huge medical books). I keep all my music stored on my iPhone or stream it.

The price difference between models is $250AUD in Australia - I can easily afford the 128GB, but I kind of feel like I am paying for something I am pretty sure I am not going to use. The price difference between the two models is around the cost of the keyboard here ($229 AUD which I have ordered anyway).

15. Sgt. macrumors newbie

For the sake of apps an ipad is just not worth it. - I'd return it and give the ipad a long middle finger and never look back. :D

I purchased a 128gig because of safety meassures. - Then I'd be sure to have enough for stored pictures that I would tighty up on a photo app., music I'd be able to stack up in larger amounts, my apps and all the little pdfs etc. etc. would all have their roomy space in it.

BUT, the thing is, I ended up never using my pad for anything but comsuming internet and an occational word doc. if my laptop ran out of juice. - 32 was more than pleanty for those purposes.

All the above mentioned my iphone did just as well.

Spend the money on a mac instead, if you don't already have one. you'll get a 1000 fold better value for your money.

Anyhow, In the end it ended up collecting dust on the table, as my phone satified and gave me about the same consumption satisfaction, as I'm not designing, rendering music or anything else in that league.

And more over, sure it's light, thin and shiny, but fx. it's still too heavy to hold for longer periods in a hand while consuming with the other hand when fx lying in bed on your back. the iphone is just more "handy". And considering you only want it for the occational apps. Whats the point of an ipad then?

And you'll probably feel like many others.... ending up getting irritated at your self for rediculously switching back and forth between two gadgets that serves you the same prupose, while at the same time feeling obligated to use it even after you found that you didn't need it after all.

In short, return the alufoil and dont look back, unless you are that raven who just can't keep your enviously eyes aways from those shiny apples.

16. Wando64 macrumors 6502

Wando64

Wow, just wow.
    To all people with no money: "Save the world by going into debt"
    With the added benefit that people with money can thrive on their investments.

Living within one's means is so overrated.

17. SparkFlash macrumors 6502

SparkFlash

There is never enough space. Just because today its not filled, doesn't mean later it could fill quickly. Maybe just me but I would just keep it.

18. Sgt. macrumors newbie

Hoarders never have enough space. ;)

19. FairyCatInPink macrumors regular

FairyCatInPink

Haha that's a good one lol

Well, include of myself, people wants to make sure they have more than enough, just in case. Most of people who are saying they need 256GB on iPad probably even don't use 128GB of it, that's my guess...

20. noodles5666 macrumors regular

I went with the 256GB as I have about 110GB of music and I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan that I can tether if I needed internet here and there. So for the $20 more and 128GB more space I opted to get the 256GB WiFi vs. the 128GB Cellular w/ an extra monthly charge.

21. Bargle macrumors regular

I went with a 32 gig 9.7" with the idea that I would spend .99c more per month and upgrade to the 50gig cloud storage plan.

82 gigs = $12
    128 gigs = $200

22. Fuzzball84 macrumors 6502

I think as long as you are not storing movies and music on the iPad and just using it for word processing, spreadsheets and PDFs that the base models are almost always fine... you can always pull things onto the device from One drive, iCloud etc as required.

Going for the biggest storage options is not always a good idea considering the price premium.. it doesn't necessarily mean the device will last longer either, as processor and RAM are likely the more limiting factors on future iOS updates

23. mikezmac macrumors 6502a

mikezmac

Better same than sorry. If you gets 32G and run out that's it. It's not hard to do with a lot of apps / music / pics or video. With a 128 you most likely won't run out easily unless you have a lot of music or video.

It's a lot of money to spend to find out that you cannot do everything that you want to on it.

24. mikezmac macrumors 6502a

mikezmac

Remember that is you have the cellular connection access to all that content on the cloud will count against you plans minutes. Also if you don't have the cell service one you cannot access that constant away from wifi. Last thought is you cannot put apps in the cloud and the space they take adds up fast.

It's a lot of money to spend to find out that you cannot do everything that you want to on it when you want to.