Regretting getting the 16gb?? Read this...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by robosays21, Mar 16, 2012.

1. rgr555 macrumors 6502

doesn't matter, 16gb too small for magazines, games, movies unless you like deleting and only keeping a few at a time

2. advan031 macrumors 6502

If you have tons of apps/movies and thousands of photos then 16gb is def not enough. You can get by with 32gb.

3. BubbaMc macrumors regular

Which is perfectly feasible if you own a laptop.

I don't know about you guys, but once ive watched a movie I won't watch it again for years if ever.

4. Hoggles macrumors regular

Hoggles

It should come as NO shock to anyone that has any experience with mobile devices, that 16gb is very limited nowadays, retina or not.

I have a 32gb in my phone. A tablet would need at least that much for semi worry free storage space.

5. Yggbert macrumors regular

14GB might not be enough if you plan on keeping lots of games and other apps on the thing, you'll likely creep towards that limit fast, more so when new games designed around the new screen come out. I went for 32GB just to save myself any hassle of juggling space around as I want to be able to pack TV shows/movies on there for train/plane trips. I won't be putting 1080P video on there as I refuse to believe the difference between 720/1080 will be noticeable on a 9.7" screen.

6. Sowelu macrumors regular

Sowelu

Apps aren't the storage hogs, it's your media content - and mine warrants 64GB. I'd get 128GB if it were available. Music, Movies, Season Passes, Apps, Gaming, iBooks, Audio Books, Magazines... why limit yourself?

7. OwenDarko macrumors member

Well ive lived with a 16gb Ipad 1 long enough...im a gamer (and use it for surfing the net also) and to be honest..i've only just about filled it with games worthwhile around now.

I reckon same can be said for the new Ipad. It's £399 at the end of the day...plus all the apps etc...so im going to becareful.

8. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

I don't know about you guys, but MY storage needs are perfect, and why don't all of you just get what I get because everyone should follow my usage patterns and I can't understand why anyone would want anything different?

9. Kendo macrumors 68000

Yeah but you're buying an iPad to use for its media functions like reading, movies, music, games, and Internet.

Why buy an expensive device if you have to resort to making excuses like, "I'll just watch movies on my laptop," or "I'll just get the print version of magazines or books," or "I'll just use my Xbox for games."

Suddenly you bought this expensive device but convince yourself that you won't use it for the things it is created for.

10. AppleHater macrumors 6502a

When the time comes to sell your iPad 3, 32GB will be the minimal size. That's my argument against 16GB, bare minimum.

11. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

16g is fine for me. iTunes makes managing my content easy, so I don't mind doing it.

12. OwenDarko macrumors member

Netflix streaming or BBC Iplayer etc.. makes more sense on a Ipad to me, rather then downloading them onto it. I personally would only watch movies on my bigger screen and in 3D (if there compatible) to get the best possible quality too.

13. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

It's got nothing to do with the size of the display, but rather the number of pixels which it is comprised of. There will be a noticeable difference.

14. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

This may come as a shocker: everyone doesn't use iPad for the same things!

I kept no movies on my iPad as I don't watch movies on my iPad (Except through Netflix/other streaming apps). I also didn't keep my music on my iPad because I keep my music on my iPhone. Books don't take up much space at all (Unless you are talking textbooks).

I still went with the 32GB because I have a lot of apps and plan on storing more photos on it because of iPhoto.

But it is perfectly possible to get by on 16GB.

Reading - little space. Movies/Music - can be streamed locally or over internet. Internet - doesn't require storage space. And a majority of people don't play games that are larger than Angry Birds, which means you still have 16GB of space for apps and photos.

15. BubbaMc macrumors regular

You do realize that it's entirely possible to sync data from a laptop to the device as required, right?

Point missed completely dude.

16. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

Yes I upgraded to 32g this time. If you do not download too many movies or take videos you should me ok.

17. Yggbert macrumors regular

Only if the upscaling is terrible.

18. Blakjack, Mar 16, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012

Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Watching a movie more than once is just something I dont do either. I always rent movies in tunes, because I know that I will never watch the movie again.

But if its a really good movie, Ill buy it. It stays in the cloud anyway. So if my family hasnt seen it, they can watch it later, but I refuse to keep it sitting on my ipad.

19. Radio macrumors 68000

16 GB is too small; juggled too much crap around to make things fit.

20. Kendo macrumors 68000

No I understand. But if I'm going on a road trip and want to bring 5 HD movies and 10 digital magazines, it is perfectly feasible on a 32GB iPad.

Using your quote before, bringing 5 HD movies is perfectly feasible if you bring a 16GB iPad...and your laptop as well. But having to bring both kinda defeats the purpose of getting a portable media consumption device, no?

21. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

16GB has always been fine FOR ME, I can see why other would never go that route though. It all breaks down to how you're going to use your iPad. Either way, whatever size, just enjoy it.!

22. BubbaMc macrumors regular

Not at all. Laptops are portable too :D

For the road trip scenario, the laptop would be coming as well for other reasons.

23. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Size matters! As has been pointed out, it's all on how you use your device. I am usually around the 50 gig mark on my iPad 1. Sure, I don't HAVE to keep all that stuff on it, but it's convenient for me to. Now that I have my music in the cloud, I could probably get by with somewhat less, but why limit myself?

24. rgr555 macrumors 6502

bottom line, your ipad will be more valuable to you if you can put more things inside

dont make the mistake in limiting yourself