Regular backup to Seagate GoFlex drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lenoxus, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Lenoxus macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook 4,1 with OS 10.5.8. I also have a 500GB external drive made by Seagate, called a GoFlex. Over 400GB of it is free, and it has the ability to be accessed by my iPad over wifi, and I also use it to back up files from a Windows laptop.

On my MacBook, there are a few folders that I would like to back up on a regular basis to the GoFlex. The main problem is that Time Machine does not recognize the GoFlex at all, even though the drive's icon appears on my MacBook's desktop. Furthermore, I don't want to reformat the GoFlex in any way because I'd like to retain its usability with those other two devices.

So in short, I need to either get Time Machine to recognize the drive and not reformat it, or I need some alternative. Does anyone have suggestions?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Time Machine requires the destination drive formatted in HFS+ (Mac OS Extended in Disk Utility). I am not aware of a Mac backup utility that will backup to a FAT32 partition (which is likely what you now have on the Seagate).

What I would do is create a HFS+ partition on the Seagate used only for Time Machine, then leave another partition still in FAT32 to share files like you have been.

3. Lenoxus thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, good idea. Will do so. Thanks!