Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OngL

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2009
I have bought a MBP 2.53 (Late 2008) last December. Recently, I had been getting system lock-up after using the computer for 1-2 days.

The lock-up is really bothering me as it can only be resolved by pressing power button for more than 4 seconds to power it off. It usually started when I use either Safari or Vuze and tried to do something on those two programs (nothing that I can isolate about). The spinning wheel was displayed and I can't do anything except moving the mouse. All programs including the top dock has all spinning wheel and the computer become useless.

Despite the situation, The mouse still can be used i.e. moved around but that's about it. Command-Option-Esc for displaying force quit menu also can't be done.

Anyone heard about this? It's really bothering me. I have iMac Alu 2008, using roughly 95% same software but it never hangs. It looks like hardware related but I can't be sure.

The logs don't offer any meaningful information.

klooney

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2008
have you tried repairing permissions, sometimes my finder will lock up as well as icons on my desktop, if I repair permissions it fixes the problem

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.