Regular expressions / pulling string from inside a string

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by dusker, Jul 21, 2009.

1. dusker macrumors member

Hi Guys!
    I'm working on an app of mine, but i came across a problem i find pretty hard to bite. Inside a NSString i'll have a pretty long html code, and i'd like to pull out of that string, substrings that are contained inside certain tags. So for example i'd like to get what's inside <font><b> and </b></font> tags.
    There'll be couple of lines containing these tags so i'll need this solution to run inside a loop.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

greetings
    peter

2. dusker thread starter macrumors member

@jnic thanks for the clue! Would you (or someone else) care to post a short snippet of what methods to use? Say we got the following:

Code:
    NSString *str = @"<html><body><font><b>hello</b></font> <font><b>world</b></font></body></html>";
    NSXMLParser *parser = [[NSXMLParser alloc] initWithData:str];

how to get the parser to return what's enclosed inside <font><b> and </b></font>

thanks in advance

3. ChOas macrumors regular

Check this example:

https://developer.apple.com/iphone/...ts.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/20002265-BCIJFGJI

in short you would probably want to set up 2 BOOLs like inFont and inB so you know when you are within <font><b>, capture all data until the tags are closed and then clear the BOOLs again

4. Luke Redpath macrumors 6502a

Depending on your needs, NSXMLParser may be overkill; you might be able to accomplish what you want using regular expressions - try the RegexKitLite framework.

5. firewood macrumors 604

use Javascript

Javascript supports regex, and there are several xml/html parsing libraries available for Javascript. You can run the JS code inside a hidden UIWebview. Calling a JS parser from Obj-C might be a lot easier than rolling the equivalent parser in Obj-C.

6. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Well, I'm gonna suggest looking into NSScanner if the structure of what you're pulling from is not overly complex.

7. dusker thread starter macrumors member

thanks for a tip, could you recommend any paticular js html parser?

I think the html i need to parse is too complex for nsscanner:(

Would anyone care to post some snippet of regex expression that would pull data from inside <font><b> tag?

8. ChOas macrumors regular

/<font><b>(.*?)<\/b><\/font>/ism