Regular Kernel panics on an upgraded mac pro 1,1

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dsads, Nov 29, 2010.

1. dsads macrumors newbie

I've recently upgraded my Mac Pro 1,1 to 4 x 4gb crucial ram, hd5770 ati radeon graphics card and 2 x x5355 processors. I did this in stages with the last being the processors. Ever since the processors were installed I've been experiencing regular Kernel panics where the machine will crash within 1-20 minutes of being turned on.

Here's the latest log:

I've repaired permissions and attempted a 10.6 re-install (kernel panic before it could finish). Sometimes the machine won't even start and I have to reset the logic board or do a pram reset so it turns on. I would like to try everything out before having to roll back to the old processors. Is there anything specific to the panic log I can do to fix this problem?

Cheers.

2. dsads thread starter macrumors newbie

latest problem report:

3. lewdvig macrumors 65816

Not sure if you still need help, but here are a couple of ideas:

Your panics seem to be CPU related.

1. You went from two 60 watt CPUs to a pair of 120 watt CPUs. More watts = heat. Have you tried running smcFanControl and settings fans to 900 rpm or higher?

2. Are you over clocking? When I push my system through over clocking I get similar kernel panics when I load up all 8 cores.

3. If you did any mods to the CPUs like VID or BSEL remove them. Are they engineering samples? Most ES chips are meant for hardware validation so YMMV when using them day to day.

4. Revert to the old CPUS and run the Mac through a strenuous stability test. I recommend multiple instances of CPUTest and Handbrake. Push it hard for several hours.

CPU upgrades in 1,1 MPs can be hit or miss.

4. adrianjt macrumors newbie

hi

having the same problem, have just sped up the cpu fan with smc, any others suggestions most appreciated, running x.6.8

cheers
    adrian