Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doadam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2013
Hey,

I don't like the Apple Wireless Keyboard, I had lots of pain in the ass solving the Caps Lock delay and I decided that apart from the Caps Lock "feature", it's also very small for me and I'd prefer a larger keyboard.

Is it possible to use a regular keyboard on my Mac? How are the cmd and the other special keys remapped when using a regular keyboard?

Sincerely,
Adam.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
Yes a regular keyboard works just fine. All of the keys work like normal, including F keys. The Windows key on a regular keyboard becomes Command if I remember correctly.

doadam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2013
Yes a regular keyboard works just fine. All of the keys work like normal, including F keys. The Windows key on a regular keyboard becomes Command if I remember correctly.

Great, thanks!
Is there an option to remap it? (using System Preferences)

Djtrackie

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
Great, thanks!
Is there an option to remap it? (using System Preferences)

yeah u can remap it in system preferences.

I use a microsoft ergonomic keyboard with my Mac all the time. I remapped to Command and Option button to match the mac's keyboard's relative location. Basically i swapped the two buttons

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I use a Logitech S530 keyboard, but still use the Magic Mouse...The keyboard is better laid out, and the response of the key's is also way better than the Apple wired KB. I can't use the BT Apple offering either as the keys are too close together for my liking.

puelocesar

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2013
I use a Logitech S530 keyboard, but still use the Magic Mouse...The keyboard is better laid out, and the response of the key's is also way better than the Apple wired KB. I can't use the BT Apple offering either as the keys are too close together for my liking.

Hi! Does the Logitech S530 still working fine on Yosemite - El Capitan? I'm planing to buy a keyboard to my Macbook Pro, and this model is the only one I found on my country

sibcc

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2015
La Jolla CA
Besides system preferences, you can also use Karabiner, available for free at http://www.pqrs.org/
It can map all sorts of crazy things, for example map the function keys to make it exactly like the Apple keyboard (like F3 - mission control, F8 - play iTunes, etc.)

Karabiner is the program I use to remap my IBM Model Ms for use with my Macs. They're PS/2, lack a "windows" key, and are pushing 30 years old. The PS/2 problem is fortunately solved by an active converter and I remap the left Control key to the Command key and Control remaps to right Alt. I prefer Model Ms even to the above mentioned Das Keyboard.

Reactions: cerberusss
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.