Regular keyboard with OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by doadam, Sep 3, 2013.

1. doadam macrumors newbie

Hey,

I don't like the Apple Wireless Keyboard, I had lots of pain in the ass solving the Caps Lock delay and I decided that apart from the Caps Lock "feature", it's also very small for me and I'd prefer a larger keyboard.

Is it possible to use a regular keyboard on my Mac? How are the cmd and the other special keys remapped when using a regular keyboard?

Sincerely,
    Adam.

2. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Yes a regular keyboard works just fine. All of the keys work like normal, including F keys. The Windows key on a regular keyboard becomes Command if I remember correctly.

3. doadam thread starter macrumors newbie

Great, thanks!
    Is there an option to remap it? (using System Preferences)

4. Djtrackie macrumors member

yeah u can remap it in system preferences.

I use a microsoft ergonomic keyboard with my Mac all the time. I remapped to Command and Option button to match the mac's keyboard's relative location. Basically i swapped the two buttons

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I use a Logitech S530 keyboard, but still use the Magic Mouse...The keyboard is better laid out, and the response of the key's is also way better than the Apple wired KB. I can't use the BT Apple offering either as the keys are too close together for my liking.

6. puelocesar macrumors member

Hi! Does the Logitech S530 still working fine on Yosemite - El Capitan? I'm planing to buy a keyboard to my Macbook Pro, and this model is the only one I found on my country

7. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

Besides system preferences, you can also use Karabiner, available for free at http://www.pqrs.org/
    It can map all sorts of crazy things, for example map the function keys to make it exactly like the Apple keyboard (like F3 - mission control, F8 - play iTunes, etc.)

8. yegon macrumors 68020

9. sibcc macrumors member

sibcc

Karabiner is the program I use to remap my IBM Model Ms for use with my Macs. They're PS/2, lack a "windows" key, and are pushing 30 years old. The PS/2 problem is fortunately solved by an active converter and I remap the left Control key to the Command key and Control remaps to right Alt. I prefer Model Ms even to the above mentioned Das Keyboard.