Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PapZ

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2007
Since I'm gonna have my US relatives to take two iPads 3G and bring them overseas in Italy, where I live, I have the utmost interest in knowing if other carrier's microSIM (both natural or cut up) work in US sold iPads.
Do you plan to try it out with your iPad when you'll get it? It would be awesome, since I don't want to waste my money on two useless iPads 3G :)

Totty

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2006
Since I'm gonna have my US relatives to take two iPads 3Gs and bring them overseas in Italy, where I live, I have the utmost interest in knowing if other carrier's microSIM (both natural or cut up) work in US sold iPads.
Do you plan to try it out with your iPad when you'll get it? It would be awesome, since I don't want to waste my money on two useless iPads 3G :)

The iPad 3g has been confirmed to be unlocked, so it should work just fine with other carrier's microSIMs.

PapZ

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2007
I have solid evidence confirming what you say, but a couple of phone calls made by my american cousin to Apple's customer service made out things differently: they said to him that US sold iPads 3G are locked to AT&T. It's cr*ap, if you ask me; nonetheless, it's straight from horse's mouth...

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
I was going to post the same thread, specifically I want to know if the iPhone sim card will work in the iPad.

So who's going to be the brave soul that cuts up their iPhone's sim card and tries it in the iPad??

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
I was going to post the same thread, specifically I want to know if the iPhone sim card will work in the iPad.

So who's going to be the brave soul that cuts up their iPhone's sim card and tries it in the iPad??

You dont even have to cut up your iPhone SIM...just go to the any store or gas station and pick up a Pre-paid phone through ATT or TMobile, it's like $10.

ReallyOldGuy

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2010
i have to be missing something....you CAN CUT YOUR SIM CARD AND IT WORKS but you cant put it back in the phone..what purpose does it serve?

phoobo

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2008
Yes you can

i have to be missing something....you CAN CUT YOUR SIM CARD AND IT WORKS but you cant put it back in the phone..what purpose does it serve?

You just have to put it into a little $3.00 plastic adapter. Look on the Net under micro-sim sim adapter.

jsnuff1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
NY
or you can just get another sim card from ATT (you can do this just tell them you have two phones) you just cant use both at the same time.

Im really interested in this as well, the only way I will get the 3G iPad is if i can use my iPhone sim in it...no way im paying more money on top of the data I already pay for.

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
+1 for this question. Hopefully some brave soul will step up to answer our prayers. And am I being too hopeful that he/she be Canadian?

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
You dont even have to cut up your iPhone SIM...just go to the any store or gas station and pick up a Pre-paid phone through ATT or TMobile, it's like $10.

But a pre-paid phone won't have a data plan on it, so it would be useless in an ipad. I guess it would tell you if you could physically fit a cut down sim card in the ipad, but I'm interested in not just will it fit(which I don't see why it wouldn't), but whether the iPad will recognize the iPhone sim card and let you download data with it.

bzz

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2010
I have solid evidence confirming what you say, but a couple of phone calls made by my american cousin to Apple's customer service made out things differently: they said to him that US sold iPads 3G are locked to AT&T. It's cr*ap, if you ask me; nonetheless, it's straight from horse's mouth...

Is this true?

If yes it is very bad cos a friend is bringing one from us :confused:

PapZ

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2007
Well, I have a source that pretty much seals the deal: believe it or not (I didn't, at first) I got an answer straight from Steve Jobs himself (I can send the original email to whomever wants to check out if it's legit):

4566049851_7a41ef2a36_o.png

uglymoment

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2010
Ipad 3g works fine on Bell network!
Amaizing man :) congratulations..

One question...if any one can answer...

If i have 3g connection in my ipad....and if i go to some areas where there is no 3G...but there is "edge"...so it will swtich from 3g to edge automatically...and the back again to 3g automatically... like it works in iphone.... it is same rite?

--

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.