Regular voicemail for iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by woodekm, Jul 11, 2009.

1. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

I'm currently using my "old" 3g iPhone as my home phone with its own ph #. It works absolutely fine as an additional phone (plus I get to have another iPhone in case something happens to my 3gS).. No data plan, no internet etc. I reset everything before installing my older (non 3G) sim card.

I know you need the iPhone data plan for Visual Voice mail to work, but is there a way to just have the regular voice mail that was on my older Motorola phones? Wanted to check here first before calling and finding out that ATT doesn't want anybody using an iPhone without a data plan. They prol cant tell what type phone Im using, so maybe I just say its my Motorola, and my reg voice mail doesnt work? Just want to check.

Its just my backup/home phone. I just want to receive messages that I check every two or three days or so. And most of that is garbage I dont want sent to my 3GS ph #.

p.s. I dont get the APN option when in general/network settings only VPN (I2TP, PPTP and IPSec). Prol because it doesnt have the data plan.

Thanks! W

2. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

If you don't have VVM, hitting the VM button calls yourself, which should take you to VM. My 2G with no data plan does that.

3. patrickvanzandt macrumors member

The APN options are hidden whenever you are using a SIM from the "official" iPhone carrier in your contry, i.e. AT&T in the U.S.

This does NOT mean that data is not available. In fact, all non-iPhone AT&T lines default to "pay per use" data, which is $20/MB. So if you are not careful you could easily end up with accidentally using data and then getting charged huge sums of money.

I recommend setting the APN to something else, like DISABLED or NONE. You can do this by creating an profile with Apple's iPhone configuration utility. Or, feel free to use mine (just visit this link on the iPhone):
    http://patrickvanzandt.com/DisableCellularData.mobileconfig

4. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Just press and hold 1 on the keypad. This will call your voicemail.