Regulatory Labels got larger

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SethBoy, Oct 14, 2016.

1. SethBoy macrumors regular

They used to be ugly and small, now they’re ugly and huge.

I believe only EU requires them now, so most countries would have gotten sets without the labels, but my country has them, even though we have no such requirement. What a bummer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. msi92 macrumors member

My 6 and 7 has the same size, only the 5 had smaller labels :/

[​IMG]

3. SethBoy thread starter macrumors regular

For some reason, they decided to blow up the 0682 number (what in the world are they supposed to mean anyway), and then made every other logo bigger as well.

Apple is such a design-conscious company, I can’t really believe this is acceptable to them.

4. msi92 macrumors member

Its a shame that the non label iPhone is only in the US :( because it looks way 'cleaner'

[​IMG]

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well to mee the Before images appears to have larger verbiage.

As for Apple making the change, I'm pretty sure they're required by the various regulatory agencies to display the information at a specific size.

6. Superrjamz54 macrumors 6502

Superrjamz54

Then go blame your prime minister for requiring all phones to display the information.

7. SethBoy thread starter macrumors regular

My country doesn’t require them. I’m not in the EU.

Besides, Apple could have etched it on the SIM tray or something. They did a wonderful job etching the labels on the Watch such that it isn’t visible on the outside.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 14, 2016 ---
    Oh that After image is when the labels are removed. I’m comparing them to the current labels which are much larger than before. They are pretty small and not even visible on the Apple Watches.

8. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

The CE mark must be a minimum of 5mm in height and be "easily readable".

The change to the bigger 0682 happened with the launch of the iPhone 6. Perhaps a bureaucrat at the EU considered the "0682" to be a part of the CE mark and thus should technically be at least 5mm in height too. Another possibility is the previous print size could have been declared not easily readable by the EU when approving the iPhone 6.

(As an aside, I would argue that the CE mark on the jet black iPhone 7 is not "easily visible [and] readable" as required by the regulations. Shhh, nobody tell the EU! :p)

9. SethBoy thread starter macrumors regular

Apple managed to get carriers not to brand the device or install any bloatware; just wished they could have done better on this. Might be impossible to go against EU’s regulations, I suppose, but it’s highly disappointing that there are countries like mine with no such labelling requirement and yet given models with labels which mean absolutely nothing outside of the EU.

10. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

What country is it if you don't mine me asking? There are some countries outside the EU, such as Turkey, which still require CE marks by law.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I would tend to agree that this is a result of meeting some regulation rather than Apple just enlarging it.

12. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I have no problems with the phones being marked. They have to follow the laws of the land.

13. SethBoy thread starter macrumors regular

EU perhaps, but not my country. Apple is shipping phones with these EU labels that have no meaning whatsoever in my country.

Singapore. We have a Complies with IDA Standards label that can be displayed electronically (i.e. In the Settings app of iOS). A rare few actually managed to buy sets without labels locally, but I have checked with Apple's sales support who confirmed that the Singaporean models are of the labelled variant.

14. beernut macrumors 6502

yeah, i hate those labels on the back. now when i try to take a picture of people, they scream in terror like "OH MY GOD you monster with a phone with giant labels!! get away from me with those things!! gah!!!"

so then i put a piece of electrical tape to try to cover it but that was no good, so then i put a case on it and still felt like people were judging me, so i took some sandpaper to it and now i have a really scratched up phone but no giant labels!

15. SethBoy thread starter macrumors regular

”Now let’s see whether Macrumors user beernut would mind if we made the labels on his phone this much bigger!”
    [​IMG]

16. beernut macrumors 6502

oh i would sand paper the heck out of the back. call it...brushed metal.

[jony ive voice]
    and these fine scratches, delicately embedded throughout the finish, each having exactly .0001 micron in depth. see the balance of the straight vs swirled lines, the harmony as they intertwine, as if the metal has been brushed by Steve's own hands
    [/jony ive voice]

17. JayJohnPaul macrumors regular

JayJohnPaul

Any local gray market dealer over there should have the US model. Had the same issue when I was in Dubai, the local Apple Store over there sold iPhones with those awful looking EU labels. Luckily, I found a local store that sells unlocked T-Mobile and Verizon iPhones with no regulatory labels even comes with a 1-year warranty.