Rehash old topic? iPad trade in for MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bebo, Apr 29, 2014.

1. bebo, Apr 29, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2014

bebo macrumors member

bebo

Hi

I know this is probably a rehashed question. But I've been using my ipad more and more at work (mostly so I'm not using my work computer as much).

Somethings it would be great to have a full fledged laptop there instead of an ipad.

I thought about picking up a refurb MBA today and sell my ipad (4th gen with 32 gigs).

Ipad:
    Kindle reader, Goodreader (PDFs), Inkling (have 2 textbooks I read off of that), imaios? (e-anatomy app), IM+, try and takes notes in Evernote.

Macbook - more space, full laptop, can organize files, just easier to use. Will miss how some of the apps run better than the website (e-anatomy and inkling).

Thoughts?

Currently use a macbook pro 13, a 2010 model. So has some age.

Thought about getting the logitech ultrathin keyboard, but last time I tried a bt keyboard with the ipad (way back when with the ipad 1) I was less than impressed with it.

I also dream of getting a retina mbp tooo.

2. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

I used an iPad for three years (when traveling only). I grew to hate the darn thing. To me, it's a toy, not a computer. Last August I sold it on Craig's List and picked up an 11" MBA. I couldn't be happier. The form factor couldn't be better, IMHO. I luv it.

However, I made a BIG mistake. I bought it with only a 64GB SSD. My idea was to use a 500GB Hybrid drive when I was in a hotel room or visiting someone and to use the small SSD only for internet use while moving about. Didn't work. I bought a 480 GB internal SSD, first from OWC, but had problems with it, so it's being RMAd and I have a Transend 480GB SSD that should be here next week. Being able to put all my files on the internal drive and use it anywhere is GREAT!!!!

My home computer is a souped up Mac Pro. But the MBA is a GREAT little machine. iPads =BAH HUMBUG - IMHO.

Lou

3. Jambalaya macrumors 6502a

It's my belief you need one proper computer, you don't say whether you have a home computer. If you cannot afford both iPad ad MBA then I would get the MBA. I gave away my MacBook when I got the iPad but I kept my Mac Mini. For me the iPad is invaluable as my portable device and with it's smaller size is far more useful to me around the home and at work when on the road but I need the Mini for the things the iPad doesn't do well.

4. leonw macrumors member

leonw

I am a bit in the same position as you. I have used an ipad1 now for some years and my girlfriends 2009 mbp in case I needed it which happens more and more. Not dissattisfied with the ipad but it's just not good enough for quite some jobs.
    So I decided to go for the 11" mba until I just found out that their might be coming a 12" retina mba. (1kg and 10h+ batterylife I hope for). That would be just what I want as my only machine. I'll wait for that even though it might take another 6 months.

5. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I have just sold my 128gb iPad air as I needed a computer the odd, time. The iPad was ok, but I still need to pull my laptop out every now and then. So I have now ordered the new 11" which I will take with me and leave in my boot so that I have it always when I go anywhere.

6. jezzy macrumors member

After going from a 1st gen iPad, iPad 2, and then a iPad 3, i just swapped it for a 2012 MBA 11" 4gb/64gb flash.. fantastic.

Heck, I spent a few years using the iPad with a bluetooth keyboard all the time, and all I was using it for was to remotely access my xserves/headless mini.. much better using a laptop than a iPad for remote desktop. yes i miss the iPad.

7. bebo thread starter macrumors member

bebo

I could afford the mba without selling the ipad, but not sure I'd need both.

I have a macbook pro 2010 - showing some age, but overall is still solid. Battery is dying. I get maybe 2 hours of charge, needs replacing. The screen resolution kills me though. Don't have a proper desk anymore, so a ext monitor is out of the question.

I do have a desktop, its in storage since I had to give up my office for a nursery. Desktop is more of a workstation for working from home. I do most of what I need on this laptop.

Goal is to keep the mbp at home, and have the lighter laptop I can take into work with me. Laptop is just more versatile than the ipad.

8. bebo thread starter macrumors member

bebo

picked up the last mba 13" at Best Buy today for 899. They had just received the new stock today and originally brought out the brand new one... I tried to get them to reduce the price on it to 899... but whatever. Not much difference.

Trying to setup it right now. Put the ipad up for sale.

Still hard to believe how different this machine is from my mbp 2010. The weight and size of it. Better screen resolution as well.

9. Meister Suspended

Meister

I have a mac mini and a new rmbp at my disposal and i find myself using my ipad mini 90% of the time. I already used the original ipad as a computer replacement and I noticed that i can do 95% of my work on my ipad. Its just practice and understanding the concept.

Beware that only using your ipad can cause a strain on your eyes, headaches and migraines.
    Also beware that for reallu important stuff i would use a real computer.

10. octothorpe8 macrumors 6502

I think iPads are great for consuming content, but if you want to actually *produce* anything, you need a real keyboard and a real OS.