Reimage

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by w00t951, Feb 8, 2010.

1. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I am currently enrolled in a Korean university where Macs are an absolute requirement. I have bought a Macbook Pro 13" for this purpose, as they wipe the hard drive and reinstall the OS along with some other course software. I was wondering what other software the school might install to monitor what happens on this computer, as I find it very suspicious that the hard drive has to be wiped. After the school finishes this process, this computer can directly log into the school server, as well as print to network printers. They have installed iWork 2009 and some other course related software. In addition to this, the default Snow Leopard OS has been replaced by the regular 10.5 Leopard OS. I have become rather suspicious of snooping software, as none of the visibly installed software/features seem to require the usage of the older operating system. The bottom line: What other monitoring software might the school have installed, and is it safe to UPGRADE to Snow Leopard?

2. fs454 macrumors 65816

That is scary. Copy the apps they installed, and use the disk from the box to erase and reinstall SL.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Did that MBP 13" came with Snow Leopard preinstalled?

If so, it is not considered wise (and in many aspects not possible) to install any OS prior to the one that came with the Mac. So no 10.6.1 on a machine with 10.6.2 preinstalled. And especially no 10.5.

O also find it a strange behaviour of that university to completely wipe the system, but in the end it will be easier to just re-image their copy of what should be on your Macs as installing every piece of software.

You have to ask the university if it is safe to update to SL, as they might have put some software on it, that is not compatible with SL.

The thread title guy strikes again:

A more descriptive and precise thread title will help cater to the right audience and get you more responses.
    To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.
    Have you also taken a look at MRoogle, since that question may have been asked several times?

from the forum rules:

Minor Problems

3. Thread titles.

Use thread titles that indicate the subject of the thread, not generic titles such as "Need help". Moderators may change thread titles that have no specifics, usually by adding something more specific in parentheses.
    http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules#Minor_Problems

4. w00t951 thread starter macrumors 68000

w00t951

Well, it seems that there are no problems with Snow Leopard. I just have to check if the computer will login and print correctly with the school's network. I hope. If it doesn't, it will have to be reimaged AGAIN, which makes me sort of nervous.