Reimaging from an external USB drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mrjohnno28, Mar 3, 2010.

1. mrjohnno28 macrumors newbie

Hi Mac users. I have built an image and saved it to an external USB drive and now I want to image some more macbooks for my school using the drive. How do I go about it? Thanks in advance.

2. Queso macrumors G4

When you say you've imaged, how have you created it? The best option for multiple machine deployment is with either SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner, which make the deployed image bootable once they've transferred it onto the target Mac.

Because the image you create with the two programs is bootable it means you can boot the target MacBook from the external image on the USB drive (by holding down the Option key at startup), then by running SD or CCC copy the image to the machine's internal drive. After that you should just reboot the MacBook and it ought to boot from the internal drive.

Unfortunately MacBooks do not have Target Disk Mode due to their lack of FireWire bus, so I think this is the best method you have at your disposal.

3. mrjohnno28 thread starter macrumors newbie

How I did it

Firstly I found a neat little site called macinstruct.com and followed the directions I found. I will try your advice and let you know. Thanks a lot, I really appreciate the assistance. :apple:

4. mrjohnno28 thread starter macrumors newbie