Reimaging iMac, Loosing Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Alaskanmac, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Alaskanmac macrumors member

I've been reading around and heard that a lot of other people are sharing my problem with horribly slow internet with 10.5.6. I have decided to reformat my hard drive and update to 10.5.5, but I have a problem. I bought my iMac in 2007, a month before leopard came out, so naturally my mac installation disks do not come with leopard on them. I was able to receive leopard for free since I bought it so close to the release date, but now I don't know how I would go about downloading it again for free.

I also have another imac in the house that we bought in 2008. I tried using those installation discs already but they did not work on this computer. Is there anyway I can reformat and still keep leopard? Is there perhaps a way I can get the computer to install using the 2008 imac's disks?

2. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

What does "loosing Leopard" mean? Did you mean losing?

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

Install disks are machine specific. If you got Leopard from Apple, didn't you save it somewhere?

4. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

How did you download leopard for free?? From what I remember Apple either mailed them via the Up TO Date program or the did a package drop in if you bought it lose to the date.

5. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Leopard does not come as a free download. Look through the disks that you got with your new iMac and what Apple sent as an upgrade to the OS.

You can restore with the disks that came with your unit.. Tiger. Then use the DVD they sent you to upgrade to Leopard as an Archive and Install.

There are a million other ways this is the fastest See Dick Run Run Run Dick approach.

Good luck.

6. Alaskanmac thread starter macrumors member

The problem is I cannot find my leopard dvd.. I thought that apple had an "online upgrade" deal that would allow users, like me, to download leopard onto 2007 imac's purchased within a few months before leopard was released..

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Nope: they have never allowed a download of Leopard (or any other version of OSX). The only exceptions to this are Select and above paid developers who can download ISO images of OSX.