Reinforcing Charger

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gamerish, Jul 15, 2015.

1. gamerish macrumors member

My 15'' retina charger gave out today. About to go to Best Buy to get a new one but I was wondering if there were any ways to reinforce the ends of the wire so I don't have to drop another $90 on a charger 6 months down the road.

2. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

3. Ovedius, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2015

Ovedius macrumors 6502

Ovedius

You could consider using Sugru (or any other brand of moldable plastic/glue, not that I know any).
    Get it here: https://sugru.com
    I've had great success using Sugru to mend my hopelessly shoddily made Denon AH-NC800 and for securing the USELESSLY loose USB cable on my Lacie HDD:

IMG_4253.JPG

It's not very pretty but it works like a charm.

Also, while I'm at it, a bit of consumer advice:
    If anyone is considering getting noise canceling headphones, steer the hell away from the Denon AH-NC800.
    The sound quality and noise cancellation are both excellent but the build quality is just appalling.
    Absolutely horrendous.
    The ...thing that goes over you head (?) is made purely of brittle plastic and full of weak little joints (also plastic) it will break.
    Worst investment I think I've ever made, worthless for frequent travel.
    -unless you fix them with Sugru and some small metal braces, then they're quite alright.

4. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

Well one key thing is don't apply lots of strain to either end of the cable. Leave a bit of extra cable when winding the charger up.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Buy some heat shrink tubing and add extra to both the puck end of the cable and the MagSafe end. Simple