Reinstaling El Capitan from time machine back up

Discussion in 'macOS' started by AntoniusK, Dec 20, 2016.

1. AntoniusK macrumors newbie

I put a new hard drive in my Late 2008 Macbook Pro. Got it up and going again with the original disk so now running Leopard. How do I now put my last saved time machine backup which was running El Capitan?

2. elf69 macrumors 68000

elf69

ok so this is how I did it.

boot from leopard disc but have your time machine drive plugged in too.
    one of options (with my 10.6 anyway) was recover from time machine in the utilities options.

It took a while to do it.

I have also done it via Target mode using my imac to reinstall as it has el capitan downloaded from app store on it.

3. AntoniusK thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks elf69. When I last saved to time machine I had about 250GB on my hard drive. I tried to do it like you suggested with time machine plugged in but it was still going 2 days later, claiming to still be installing. It seemed way too long so I shut down the computer and it was like nothing had happened, still running leopard. You mentioned it would take a long time but does that not seem too long?
    --- Post Merged, Dec 20, 2016 ---
    Thanks elf69. When I last saved to time machine I had about 250GB on my hard drive. I tried to do it like you suggested with time machine plugged in but it was still going 2 days later, claiming to still be installing. It seemed way too long so I shut down the computer and it was like nothing had happened, still running leopard. You mentioned it would take a long time but does that not seem too long?

4. elf69 macrumors 68000

elf69

I had 56GB time machine and claimed 36 hours.

It was much faster using my imac to to do a fresh install using target mode.
    Then once installed it asked if I had a TM back up to recover from.

This took about 2 to 2.5 hours start to finish approx

5. AntoniusK thread starter macrumors newbie

Target mode sounds a lot better. My real goal is to get El Capitan up and going again and would be fine just importing files and apps I still want.

Could explain how to use target mode?

--- Post Merged, Dec 20, 2016 ---
    I have another MacBook Pro but unfortunately that one runs on Sierra which is not recommended for the 2008.

6. elf69 macrumors 68000

elf69

it fine all you need is to download el capitan from app store onto the sierra machine.

Turn off the leopard machine and connect to the other via firewire.
    Now Hold down "T" and turn on the leopard laptop and you should get firewire symbol on screen.

Now in the applications on other mac double tap el capitan and install but select the HDD of the other mac which will be under "other drives" when you select install location.
    Once installed, plug in the TM drive to the sierra mac and when it says TM back up migartion then select the TM rive and let it "do it's thing"

Much faster.

once done turn of both machines and disconnect firewire.

Some paid apps will deactivate until you power off and disconnect then reboot in normal mode.
    E.G. Paragon NTFS mount driver.

Reason is in Target mode it is using the other mac as en external HDD so it thinks it installing to the other mac, once you reboot it will pickup the license and activate again.

7. AntoniusK thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks elf69. I'll have to go out and buy a firewire cable. If 56GB took 36 hours for you then 250 would take a week I guess so this seems like the better way to go.
    Really appreciate the help!

8. elf69 macrumors 68000

elf69

no problem.

Feel free to PM me if you really get stuck or need bit help.

Hope you find a cable as I had problem on my day off.
    £35 was cheapest, so waited and we sell them at work for £9.99 or £3.25 with my discount.
    I get item at cost from work, as long as I do not abuse the system.

9. AntoniusK thread starter macrumors newbie

So I finally got the cable. I ended up putting the old drive back in the machine to avoid the hassles of not being able to use a number of apps and features that are commonplace now but are not compatible with the old OS. The drive has some issues but it's still useable.

I tried to download El Capitan on my Sierra machine but it's not letting me because I have a newer version already installed it tells me. Any tips on how to do that?
    Would there be a way to pull El Capitan from my old driver that I'm using again now?

Any input would be appreciated.

10. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

11. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

I was able to download El Capitan on my MBP running Sierra 10.12.2, I just could not install it.

Here is the sequence I saw:
    Shows as available to download from the App Store under the Purchased section;
    1 App Store002.jpg

The App Store warned me, I pressed the "Continue" to start downloading El Capitan;
    2 App Store001.jpg

The El Capitan download in process;
    3 Downloading El Cap.jpg

Warning that the El Capitan installer app can't automatically launch to install because I'm running Sierra. I clicked Quit. but;
    4 Install OS X El Capitan001.jpg

The El Capitan installer app is still available on the Mac. Check your Applications folder for the "Install OS X El Capitan" app;
    5 Finder001.jpg

12. allan.nyholm, Jan 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2017

allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

It's quite common for previous version OS X installations not wanting to open after a higher number OS X(macOS) version is installed.

The recommended way is to create a USB drive using the createinstallmedia command that this Apple Support article describes: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

Code:
    sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app
    The important part is to look for the MyVolume part of the code above and change it to the name of your +8GB USB drive. The USB drive will be formatted and renamed after the copy process is over. If your USB drive has a space in its name then type "My Volume" as an example.

Of course - it's quite bothersome. It involves some more that just downgrading directly from the installer on the Desktop, if that was possible.
    My post is not an attempt to bring a thread to the top. I'd just like to give a helping hand.

And once this is done you could use the Migration Assistant to set up El Capitan from your latest time Machine backup like it once was.

@AntoniusK

13. AntoniusK thread starter macrumors newbie

So you got to exactly where I am now but I'm still not sure how to get past it. I get to the
    [​IMG]

I see the install El Capitan app in my applications folder but when I click on it I get that message so how do I get past that?

Any tips would be appreciated.

I
    m looking at the suggestion from allan.nyholm right now to see if that works but it seemed like I was so close going this way.

14. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

You are correct to check allan.nyholm's post #12, that is the next step. You need to create a USB installer using createinstallmedia.
    Boot from the USB El Capitan installer.
    Run Disk Utility to Erase (format) your new drive for Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Exit Disk Utility.
    Install El Capitan on the new HD.
    Migrate your data from your Time Machine.