Reinstall 10.6.0 from 10.6.2

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by aturner10, Feb 17, 2010.

1. aturner10 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I just upgraded from an original white Macbook (1.83 CD) to an Aluminum Unibody Macbook (2.0 C2D) and to make the switch, I just swapped hard drives (took the one out of the white - 320GB - and put it in the Unibody) and have been using it like that for the past 2 weeks or so. It seems like things are sometimes a little "wonky" with the lovely beachball making an appearance far more than I would prefer (I have 2GB of RAM) and apps like Safari are crashing more than I'm used to (running in 64-bit mode).

My question is four-fold:
    1. Could it be driver-related differences between the two Macbooks that is causing this?
    2. If so, should I reinstall Snow Leopard to correct this?
    3. If I just pop the disk in (I'm running 10.6.2) and click "Install," will that overwrite all of my existing data? (I only ask this because with the upgrade from Leopard to Snow Leopard, data was not lost)
    4. Does this have nothing to do with any of the above and I just need more RAM?

Thanks for your help!

2. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

How fast is your processor? It depends on what you're doing. 2GB of ram with a decent processor is enough for daily browsing and what not.

If you put the install disc in, you can do an archive and reinstall or a clean install. An archive and install saves your files to a folder called "previous system" and installs OS X again.

If you want to keep your files, do that.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Hold on. You forget that Snow Leopard did away with the Archive and Install/Erase and Install/Upgrade user interface in the Mac OS X installer. The installer now automatically upgrades if SL is not installed, and Archives and Installs if it is. The only way to perform an Erase and Install is to wipe the disk in Disk Utility, the same way it's always been done.