reinstall boot camp partition when upgrading to ML?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by thomaskc, Jul 15, 2012.

1. thomaskc macrumors 6502

Hi everyone,

I am running ML GM and I have a previous boot camp, from Lion, with windows 7 and that is all good.

My question is, how does the core "program" boot camp work in terms of updating the vital apple drivers and like? Does boot camp usually get upgraded with a new version of OS X ? like from SL to Lion? did you have to clear the partition and install windows all over again or how does it work?

(just to make it clear, I am not talking about nvidia drivers etc, I come from a windows background so keeping things updated in windows isn't a problem).

2. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

You do not have to redo your Windows partition. Windows doesn't automatically get updated drivers, or anything else, because you did an OSX upgrade. Barring some catastrophic problem, it won't be affected at all.

If Apple has released new Windows drivers to go with the ML release (they haven't yet, and they may not at all), you'd need to reinstall those yourself, when they're available. They're usually not updated, either through Windows update or Apple's Windows software update service.

3. thomaskc thread starter macrumors 6502