Reinstall firmware updates after clean install?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MacBook08, Aug 5, 2009.

1. MacBook08 macrumors regular

I recently performed an "erase and install" on my MacBook. Do I need to reinstall firmware updates like the trackpad update and such?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

uh.. no.

Firmware updates are for firmware, which is totally independent from the OS or the hard drive.

3. MacBook08 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you, Yellow.

4. celticpride678

That's kinda weird. Because when I had to Erase and Install, I had to re-do firmware updates. Not arguing, just giving my experience.

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Shouldn't have had to. Maybe you didn't do them in the first place? Some require actually running the updater app and some require a reboot and holding down the power key.

Either way, if you reinstall the OS, when you run Software Updater it will ask to download the firmware again. Chances are if you run it, you'll be told that you're already up to date. OR, you won't be asked to download it again.

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

It depends how you classify firmware. Like yellow said, firmware is independent from the OS but some people call the major updates in Software update firmware which I think is incorrect. In the true sense of the word, no you don't, all you would need to install are the OS updates. Just run Software Update and choose what you like to update.