Reinstall help, please?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by twomiracles, Feb 29, 2008.

1. twomiracles macrumors regular

Okay, I decided to do a complete fresh install. I booted from the DVD, went to disk utility, told it to erase the system drive, it said it did, but it didn't. I can't get to a place from which I can reinstall the OS. If I go to startup disk and choose the DVD, it doesn't boot to it and my entire system is still here, nothing has been erased. If I double click on the DVD in finder, it opens and if I choose Install OX S and applications (or whatever that says), the window tells me to click the restart button to begin installation, but if I do that, it just boots up normally again. What's going on?

2. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

I'm not sure what's happening here, but have you tried restarting the computer and pressing the 'C' key on your keyboard? This should force it to boot into the DVD. Otherwise there might be a problem with the DVD you have?

Also, you don't need to use the disk utility to do a fresh install, it's an option you can choose as you go through the steps on the DVD.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If you don't have a retail disk, get a retail disk.

If you have a retail disk, you might want to get it checked / exchanged at a store.

4. twomiracles thread starter macrumors regular

I have tried restarting and holding down the 'C'. It boots to the DVD and I get the option to install additional applications on the computer, but not the OS.

These are the disks that came with the computer.

5. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

Are you sure you're inserting the right disk? With mine I received one for installing the OS, and a second for installing additional software. Could it be you've put in the second one by mistake?

6. twomiracles thread starter macrumors regular

Nope, I'm putting in Mac OS X Install Disc 1 :) .

7. McGiord, Feb 29, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Hi, I noticed in you signature that you have an iMac and a MacBook, are you sure you are using the right disc for the mac you need to ?
    You need to use the right MacOSX install disc.
    Try erasing the disk one more time.
    Be sure that you have backed up everything you need before doing the erase.
    ________
    BMW Sauber F1.07 history

8. twomiracles thread starter macrumors regular

Yep, it's the right set of discs, they say iMac Media Multilingual on the sticker on the sleeve.

I tried erasing twice already, but did not zero out, just did erase. It flashes a quick progress bar, flashes something about mounting the disc and then it's back to the disc utility screen. If I go back to the installer, it still only says "Install Additional Software" or something like that.

9. twomiracles thread starter macrumors regular

This is absolutely insane. I actually even chose zero out data in security options this time and still, here I am, on my original system. WTH?

10. McGiord, Feb 29, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Are you sure you are selecting the right partition?
    How many partitions does your HDD has?
    ________
    volcano digital review

11. twomiracles thread starter macrumors regular

I don't know how I finally got it to erase, it may have been zeroing out the top level on the disc, but it finally did. Then when I booted to the install DVD, I still only had options to "Install Additional Software" but when I continued on through, it did reinstall the OS. It didn't ask me for my preferences, didn't give me any options to archive and install or erase and install, but it did finally reinstall the OS. Now to install everything else :) .