Reinstall iPhone OS 3.1.3 on a 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JDB1983, Jun 29, 2010.

1. JDB1983 macrumors newbie

What's the best method to downgrade/reflash/restore/hack an iPhone 3G that has iOS4 in order to install iPHone OS 3.1.3?

I'm finding iOS4 unusably sluggish.

2. jcovercash macrumors newbie

I came here tonight looking for the same information. I installed iOS4 from release date and have regretted that since....

I have already tried the dual hard reboots, and clean restore but my text window still takes 5-10 seconds to open and i can't even answer some calls before my voicemail pickups now waiting for the phone to respond... I can't believe apple would release such a buggy OS even if the 3G is an older device (if it can't run it don't release it for it!)

3. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

It's extremely easy to do.

Download the firmware HERE.

Restore the iPhone in iTunes by clicking option/restore. This will give you a chance to select the firmware you downloaded above.

It will restore and then give you an error like 1015 or similar.

Download RECBOOT. Run it to kick the phone out of recovery and you are done!

4. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

Is it true doing this can mess your baseband up, since that isn't restored too?

iOS4 is nice, but on my 3GS the battery acts a little weird, and the "multitasking" is almost entirely pointless

5. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

The phone will work perfectly restoring in this way. I have my 3G jailbroken and everything. It works good!

6. slu macrumors 68000

slu

I just downgraded last night and I am very glad I did. It is nice having a usable phone again. If you don't have a 3.1.3 backup to restore from, you will lose all your data and would have to start from scratch like a brand new 3.1.3 phone. If that is no big deal, or you can get your last 3.1.3 backup (like I was from Carbonite, but Time Machine would have worked as well), you won't regret it.

7. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I can't recommend Time Machine enough. I had an app that was updated to work with 4.0. Because all of our phones here were updated to 4.0, we went ahead and updated that one app to. Upon downgrading the 3G, that one app no longer worked with 3.1.3. I was able to restore the old version in Time Machine and get it loaded on the 3G. Same with the backup from 3.1.3.

8. slu macrumors 68000

slu

Also, if you upgraded some apps that you need to downgrade, but have not emptied your trash, the old versions are there.

9. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Worked Great!

Thanks!!

Now my 3G is actually usable again!

Cheers. :D

10. fobia79 macrumors member

Thanks. It worked perfectly. Now i'm back in 3.1.3 with modem firmware 05.13.04
    What would be the best way to jailbreak again?