Reinstall Leopard on new Mac Pro 2.8?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by johny5, Feb 25, 2008.

1. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

I used to own a 2.8 imac with Leopard but sold this and used the firewire transfer to copy everything across.
    Everything seems to work ok apart from the odd glitch or application bomb out and I looked in software update to find that it said it had imac software updates in there.

Will these updates affect the Pro in any way?
    I thought if there were patches applied to the OS files then I would be using imac patched files and this may cause problems otherwise I guess certain imac patched files may be recognised and not run?
    not entirely sure on this so am asking for help....

Should I reinstall Leopard from scratch, I currently use time machine and if i need to reinstall what would be my best option?

2. darkpaw macrumors 6502

darkpaw

Take a backup.

Do an Archive & Install and preserve your Users & Network settings.

That'll put a new copy of Leopard on there and keep your user and network settings intact. It puts your old System folder into a folder called "Previous Systems", so you can still get all the files out of there if you need them (such as Application Support etc.). Just make sure not to delete anything until you're sure you don't need it anymore.

I have done this a couple of times, and in fact did it on my new Mac Pro last week.

3. johny5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

johny5

great thanks for the info, sounds like a task for a friday night....

Can I ask why you reinstalled on your Pro last week?

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Are you saying you're basically running an iMac install of Leopard on a Mac Pro (by means of drive cloning?).

If so you should absolutely re-install, and I'd do a clean install (Erase and Install) to ensure you're rid of iMac related stuff, not archive and install.

You can bring back your documents and stuff manually or use the migration wizard after setup.

5. darkpaw macrumors 6502

darkpaw

I thought an Archive & Install would replace ALL system files, and the preservation of users and network settings would simply make it easier to continue working afterward? There's nothing in the OP's message to suggest that they have another machine to move stuff onto while they do an erase & install.

johny5: If you have a means of moving your data (documents, pictures, etc.) to another computer, then you can do a clean install without any problems. However, migrating might be difficult if you don't have a Mac to transfer from...?

6. darkpaw macrumors 6502

darkpaw

Well, I had a Power Mac G5 and used the transfer option during the setup process to transfer stuff from the G5 to the new MP. Unfortunately, the machine stopped doing anything after all the data had been copied. The progress bar had already hit 100% and had been there for about 2 hours. I decided to reset the machine, reinstall from scratch and simply copy stuff over manually later on.

My data and applications were on two separate drives, so I simply cloned them onto partitions on my new hard drives. (Carbon Copy Cloner - very good software!)

7. johny5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

johny5

No I didn't clone the drive, I used the user Migration Assistant transfer option when you first boot up any mac, and then connected it to my imac this way. I thought it just transferred apps, settings, data that sort of stuff but i was surprised to see in installed updates quite a few references to imac updates?

I am weary now of doing a complete wipe and reinstall as when i use migration assistant again, it will surely copy across the imac updates?

I have quite a few Macs around my house that i can transfer my data too, but I also have quite a lot of storage space in the Pro to move things around onto and even have 2 external 1TB raid drives. Oh yes and I do backup using time machine so I can surely do a wipe/reinstall and the restore apps/data etc via time machine cant I?

8. darkpaw macrumors 6502

darkpaw

I doubt the Migration Assistant has copied over any system files. I would say your machine is fine as it is. It may have copied across log files that show what has been installed, but I doubt that, too.

Are you saying that when you run Software Update, it lists NEW iMac updates?

9. johny5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

johny5

Sorry, no it lists old imac updates that were installed.
    I had grabbed a screen but forgot to attach to my last post, here you go...

Do you know what, I really am not sure what I did now in the excitment of getting my new Mac pro the other week!?
    I am thinking that I may have even connected the Imac via firewire and then zapped the whole disk across using carboncloner.

Looking at these logs surely that's what i must have done as you say it would seem impossible that the imac installed updates should be on my pro any other way?
    Nevertheless I will do a clean wipe and install at the weekend.
    I guess the best plan would be to CC my existing drive to another disk then wipe and full clean install. Connect the CC disk and migrate my user files over then restore anything else manually?

Attached Files:

10. johny5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

johny5

just to update....I couldnt wait till the weekend so did a full carbon clone of my drive lastnight as a safe backup. This morning I performed an "Archive and Install" and it went fine.
    I presume it move the system files to the "previous system" folder so I guess this is fine.
    I was pretty impressed that all my apps etc stayed intact and when software update ran it downloaded and installed all the relevant updates.
    I think this is all that was required as all my apps are just fine anyways.

thanks all for your help :)

11. johny5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

johny5

Another update....(an angry one :mad: )

Since performing an "Archive and install" I have the great ***** Sleep/Reboot syndrome!!! ARGHHH!

I have put the pro to sleep 3 times and everytime i come to wake it, it has rebooted. This is absolutely unreal considering I sleep the pro everyday since I have had it and with my config before it only rebooted once out of i guess 28 sleeps!??

Off I head to add myself to the other Sleep/Reboot threads....