Reinstall Leopard SuperDrive

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by TheRiseofTheFal, Jun 17, 2008.

1. TheRiseofTheFal macrumors regular

TheRiseofTheFal

Hey there...I was wondering if its possible to reinstall leopard using a standard leopard install disc instead of the one packaged with the macbook air...being a fool i left my install discs locked away at school 5 hours from home...if i get a superdrive can i just use the version of leopard i used to upgrade my macbook in the winter and then just apply the necessary updates any help appreciated

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. nintendude macrumors 6502

it might work but the retail copy of leopard wouldn't have the multi touch drives

4. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Nope, it will be problematic, especially with the touchpad... Leopard was released before the MBA was, and thus, it will not have the proper drivers for the machine.

5. TheRiseofTheFal thread starter macrumors regular

TheRiseofTheFal

and i wouldnt receive multitouch functionality even if i applied 10.5.3? then again is multitouch the only capability that I would lose or would it go deeper than that?? but basically youre saying im SOL right now to get rid of the iBloat until I go back to school...:(

6. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Correct, you would have many more problems than just touchpad functionality, it might run, if so, it wouldn't be worth the space saved for the quality of operation you would get (if any). So bottom line here is, don't try it if you can't get to the discs that came with your computer.

7. TheRiseofTheFal thread starter macrumors regular

TheRiseofTheFal

what are the odds ill be blessed with some kind soul who could furnish me with a free copy of leopard at the apple store :p ill bring proof of everything in addition to buying a superdrive what do you think? tears work?

8. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

It's more of a "they would if they could" deal. Apple can get you MacBook Air restore disks, but there aren't any to be had in the store.

9. TheRiseofTheFal thread starter macrumors regular

TheRiseofTheFal

where do you think i could go to procure one?? I'm going to San Jose on sunday so I'm in a bit of a crunch, then again my hotel is 3 miles from cupertino should i just give a knock on old steve-o's door? :D