Reinstall lion and EFI updates?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by itegypt, Oct 30, 2011.

1. itegypt macrumors 6502

Aug 6, 2011
    I understand reinstalling lion will need the 10.7.2 update....etc but does the EFI updates need to be redone over again?

2. iVoid macrumors 65816

Jan 9, 2007
    No, EFI, SMC, and other firmware updates only need to be applied once (assuming they are successfully applied).

And if you use the recovery partition or re-download from the app store, 10.7.2 will be installed (or whatever is current).
  3. derpasaurus macrumors newbie

Apr 28, 2011
    Is it possible to update the EFI when you reinstall Lion? Or does that occur only once? I tried to install the EFI update manually but it said it wasn't supported.
  4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

Oct 31, 2010
    Hamilton, Ontario
    once EFI is updated its updates its the Firmware on the logic board i believe, so changing hard drives, formating hard drives clean installs of OS X should have no effect on the EFI
  5. BarkingGhost macrumors regular

Oct 18, 2011
    Atlanta+35 miles
    I've reinstalled Lion over the Internet, and also clean-installed it and when I checked system updates afterwards I see updates, but none for EFI. I believe once an EFI update is applied, its there for life.
  6. amoralesh macrumors newbie

Jun 1, 2012
    EFI 2.7 MBP 13 repeats installation again and again

I have the same problem.

Every time I do a Software Update appears the EFI 2.7 to be installed. When a do that said that was successful, but next time appears again as a new upgrade.

Excuse my bad english. I speak spanish only.