Reinstall Lion - Keep users folder?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AndyR, Jul 25, 2011.

1. AndyR macrumors 6502a

AndyR

Upgraded SL to Lion the other day but since then my MBP performance has suffered big time. I recently installed an SSD as my system drive and left my users folder on my original drive and it was awesome, but for some reason the upgrade to Lion has killed the performance.

So, I want to try a clean install. Question is, if I wipe my SSD (system/apps etc) and install, can I then just create a new user, point it to my old home folder on my other drive and that should be it?

How would the permissions for this work?

Thanks!

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

At least one way to do this; Clone your current drive to a separate drive. Then do a clean OS install, and then use Migration Assistant to pull the data from the cloned drive. I don't know if you can pull a Lion profile to a Snow Leopard install though. I don't think there should be issues, but at least you would have a clone to fall back on in a worst case scenario.

Edit: it looks like you're talking Lion to Lion, so there shouldn't be an issue using migration assistant. Just be sure when you do the clean install to use a different user name than the one you want to migrate.

3. alwalleed macrumors newbie

Any easier ways?

4. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

Thanks for the heads-up. I have an 08 macbook pro and I haven't yet installed Lion. Guess I'll wait for a while before upgrading.

5. AndyR thread starter macrumors 6502a

AndyR

Cool thanks, yeah it'll be Lion to Lion.

Might try this over the weekend then. Already have drive clone of my users drive, so just have to dig out another USB drive to clone my 60gb SSD boot too.

Thanks.

6. AndyR thread starter macrumors 6502a

AndyR

OK did this today, cloned my SSD and HDD to an external drive, made the Lion USB disk and reinstalled.

I erased my SSD first and Lion installed OK, and when it popped up with the Migration Assistant I pointed it to my external USB backup and it pulled everything accross.

Problems now, on each reboot I have no desktop icons! I reboot and they appear. reboot again they vanish, reboot again and they are back :confused:

Also, my Mac still wont sleep!! Grrrr!

Gonna spend the day trouble shooting before I sack it of and install fresh snow leopard.