Reinstall Lion over existing Lion OSX

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by nutcaseguy, Apr 18, 2013.

1. nutcaseguy macrumors newbie

Hey all.

Here is my issue. I installed a ssd on my 2009 iMac. I used my time machine backup to install Lion and my data on to the ssd. Everything works fine.
    BUT, there is now no recovery partition on the ssd as the time machine backup does not recreate this partition.

Then comes the day I want to install Mountain Lion. Big problem, the install fails. I believe this is because there is no recovery partition on the ssd.

How do I fix this. I read somewhere that if one reinstalls Lion right over top of the existing Lion operating system then the recovery partition will be recreated
    ( and all my existing data and applications will be unaffected )

Then I can go ahead and install Mountain Lion. Can someone please confirm that this will work ??:confused:

2. benwiggy macrumors 68020

The installer will create a recovery partition if there isn't one.
    Please describe in detail how "the installer fails". Is there an error message? What is it? At what point of the process does it fail?
    Are you using the App Store Installer app, or other method?

3. nutcaseguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your reply.

It has been a few weeks since I tried the Mountain Lion install. As I recall, there was an error message that the install failed because of a problem with the hard drive ( in my case the ssd ) I remember running disk utility to repair disk,but when I tried reinstalling ML it failed again. I was installing Mountain Lion by downloading it from the App Store and running the installer.

It was suggested to me that since I did not have a recovery partition on the ssd
    that the ML install saw that as a problem or issue with the drive and thus the install failed.

What do You think ?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You have something else going on. Mountain Lion will install over Lion without a recovery partition. The Mountain Lion install will just create its own recovery partition.

Before the OS install, the installer runs a check on the disk for errors and if that fails the install will stop.

Are you sure you have no recovery partition? A Time Machine restore (since 10.7.2) will create one. Type "diskutil list" (without quotes) in Terminal and see if you have a 650MB Recovery HD listed.

If you do, try a command-r boot to the recovery partition then run a Disk Utility repair disk from there.